Chapter 11🌲Trails and Nature's Wonders

↣Trails and Nature's Wonders↢

The familiar caw of Samurai had you moaning in contempt, dropping the book you were reading to your lap. The annoying yet beautiful bird ungracefully landed on your raised forearm, stumbling in it's landing and looking at your with his beady black eyes.

"The Demon Slayer elders have allowed your partnership, Master [Y/N]." He squawked, tilting his head, "You and Master Inosuke have a new mission appointed to you two. Head southeast to a house in the woods, me and Helena will lead you!"

You yawned, nearly closing your eyes and falling asleep right there. Deciding against it, you got up against your own sleepy instincts and started to your doorway. Loud laughter haunted the hallway and you failed to hide a smile. Inosuke had somehow bonded with Daichi over the one and a half weeks you've stayed here to rest your hurting shoulder, the two were continuously talking and challenging each other to things. The boar headed boy actually gets mad when he gets outsmarted by the little kid, leading him to rematch after rematch till you call the two in for dinner. Today was their challenge of who could slice the most bamboo again, Inosuke even taught the boy how to hold his sword properly just to try and defeat him. Atleast he's getting his training and I'm getting some extra sleep and relaxation...

"[Y/N]?! My dearest girl are you there?" 

Nevermind.

You recognized the voices as Kina and Evelyn, two of the village elders and the most vocal women of the group. Which meant they had a close affection to you ever since you were small. They'd dress you up in geisha and elegant kimonos, forced you to eat the food they made to see who cooks better (it was too much food even for you, a bottomless pit), taught you to concoct quick medicines and use first aid equipment, but them teaching you to cook was the thing that came in handy the most.

"Yes, Nana-Evelyn? Grandma-Kina?" You barely peeked your head through the front door of your house which they nearly barged into.

"That boy of yours was chasing the chickens again! Get that demon under control." Evelyn scolded, hugging one of her chickens to her chest.

Kina sniffled, taking out a handkerchief full of broken glass, "And he broke my favorite dish! He's teaching Daichi the tricks of the devil as well, I tell you [Y/N], I saw those boys trampling through the forest like wild boars."

"Hurry master [Y/N]! Head south east! Gather master Inosuke!" You winced at the bird screaming in your ear and the women nagging in the other.

Biting your cheek, you mustered the best pitiful smile at the two, "I am leaving on a new mission with him today, he'll be out of your hair soon."

Before they can talk your ear off for the next hour you shut the door and walked to the back. Inosuke stood over a pile of chopped bamboo, arms raised victoriously and laughing. Daichi was next to him, mimicking the deranged boy's laugh and posture.

"You did it, little brat!" Inosuke cheered, picking up the kid, "You managed to chop it all down like a real man!"

Before he could throw your little brother high in the air you grabbed the boy, placing him back on the ground and patting his head, "Inosuke, have you been teaching Daichi swordsmanship? Wow I'm so proud of my boys!"

You pat Inosuke's head as well, rustling the gray fur joyfully. Right as he leaned into the touch your hand was gone, instead petting the stupid bird on your shoulder. Inosuke scowled at the magpie who always got your attention like somehow it was the most important thing in your life. He wanted to eat the useless thing so much, perhaps then you'd pet his head like that instead.