Chapter 20🌲Dolls to the Puppeteer who Pulls the Strings

↣Dolls to the Puppeteer who Pulls the Strings↢

"We must first--!"

"I get it!" You and Inosuke yelled over Tanjirou, you readied your bow, once again pointing it at the sky, "Breath of the Hunter, third form: Bird's Eye View!"

The sky was dark and gloomy, the tall evergreens and oak trees worsening your vision to the point where all you saw was green and navy. You caught the arrow and fell back onto a branch, hopping off and to Inosuke, "I couldn't see. It's your turn now, this is my first time seeing the breath of the beast so I hope for a show."

You chuckled at your dry humor. Inosuke didn't seem to get it, as he grinned under his mask at the notion of impressing you with his talent. He turned away from you, stabbing his twin swords laterally and turning back to you once again. You quirked an eyebrow and he chuckled, buckling down on one knee and spreading his arms out on each side, "Breath of the Beast, seventh form: Spatial Awareness!"

A few moments passed as he silently sat in the position. You tilted your head and kneeled down as well to make sure Inosuke was truly still there, or did he fall asleep from behind the mask? You would've totally done that. His head whipped to the side as you raised you hands to cup his cheeks, he jumped up and laughed boisterously, raking his swords from the dirt, "I found it! Move it, Monjirou!"

"You guys go ahead! I'll hold these people off!" Murata commanded you all, and you should've been compliant considering he was technically your elder, but Inosuke's laugh turned mocking.

"Oh? And we expect you not to piss your pants again?!" 

You slapped his shoulder, turning to Murata with a look of concern, "Murata-san, we can't just leave you! You were hurt just moments ago!"

He fiercely shook his head as if to rid himself of your words, turning back to block an attack, "I'm sorry for showing you guys my embarrassing side but we're demon slayers! Leave this place to me and I'll think of something! SHUT UP YOU STUPID BOAR, I'M TALKING TO THE ADULTS!"

Hesitantly you nodded in understanding, swooping Inosuke in your arms before he could have to charge the elder boy. The pigheaded boy started hopelessly screaming, beating a fist on your back in a futile way of trying to get you to drop him. You payed no mind to it, running in the direction Inosuke had pointed you to with Tanjirou following behind. Only when you made it a fair distance away did you put down Inosuke, grabbing his arm the minute his feet touched the ground and pulling him further in the direction.

"I'm gonna punch him!"

"Shut up, little boy!"

"Everyone's callin' me a stupid boar kid! I'm not a stupid boar kid!"

"Yes you are!"

"No!"

"Guys!" Tanjirou commanded, frustration clear in his voice, "Stop and look!"

"D-Don't come near me... Go get the higher ranks!"

You and Inosuke stopped dead in your tracks.

"If you don't I'm gonna kill everybody!" The girl's heaving breath caught in her throat and she sobbed, "Please!"

"W-w-wait! Stay there, I'll help you!" You stuttered, your own eyes tearing up as you cut the air with your sword, "Breath of the Hunter, ninth form: Hunting Knife!"

The sharp gash of wind blew and rustled the strings that held her unmercifully.

The strings didn't cut.

Your grip on your sword faltered for a moment, as you had to catch it from falling to the ground and hold it in your shaky stiff hands. She let out a panicked breath, suddenly the threads pushed her to move, awkwardly running and slashing at you three. You caught your own breath, dodging out the way just in time. She turned back to you, sword raised. You readied your own, "I'm sorry... B-Breath of the Hunter, tenth form: Mountain Ram Block!"