Chapter 40🌲Annoying, Arrogant, Sweetheart

↣Annoying, Arrogant, Sweetheart↢

Someone's wailing and another's pained groaning woken Tanjirou up. He tried to ignore the painful ringing in his bones and the gaping hole on the underside of his chin, instead staring at the little girl above him. Nezuko rubbed a thumb over his cheeks, gently nudging him further awake.

"Nezuko..." He murmured, but bolted up when the various dangerous smells and feelings bombarded him with their presence suddenly, "Everything's a wreck! Nezuko, did you save me?"

The girl cuddled into his side and purred beneath her makeshift muzzle, nuzzling her head into Tanjirou's shoulder. He pat the crown of her head, but suddenly jolted up to his feet, "Inosuke! Zenitsu! [Y/N]! Where are they?!"

He promptly fell back down on his hands and knees, grimacing at the new bleeding wounds he gotten when he skinned his knees and palms.

"Tanjirou..." Said boy raised his head at the familiarity of the voice. "Tanjirou..."

Nezuko came up behind Tanjirou, scooping him up onto her back and jogging to the whining. Zenitsu sobbed in the dirt, grabbing onto the bottoms of Tanjirou's hakama and hauling himself up to face him, "When I woke up, my whooollleee body hurt! Why in the hell are my legs broken?! Who did this to me?! IT HURTS! I can't see because of all the blood!"

"Thank God you're okay..." Tanjirou sighed, ignoring Zenitsu's denial as he searched the rubble visually. For a moment, he envied your sharp eyes, "Where's [Y/N]? Where's Inosuke?"

"He's over there. I'm pretty broken, but Inosuke's even worse; his heartbeat is getting weaker. But [Y/N] is over there with him, her crying and panicking is making her heart rate spike, she might have a heart attack if she doesn't stop." The moment Zenitsu pointed at the dangling feet and where the loud wails were sounding from, Nezuko zoomed over to the pair with Tanjirou on her shoulders.

You clung to Inosuke's limp body, sobbing like a child into his shoulder, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I can't do anything, I'm worthless! I love you, please don't die!"

"Inosuke! [Y/N]!" You squeaked in surprised at the new voice, trapping Inosuke further into your arms for protection against whoever it was. Seeing Tanjirou and Nezuko bound towards you let your grip loosen, but just slightly. 

Tanjirou called Inosuke's name again, hurrying to fuss over the male. You flinched back though, causing him to stop and falter. The redhead looked up to the sky and blinked away his tears, why exactly, you weren't sure. Perhaps he was praying? You placed Inosuke's head in your lap, clapping your hands together and placing your forehead against your fingers, feverishly starting to verbally pray and plead to whatever god you can think of-- no matter the religion. Warmth spread across your lap where Inosuke was placed. You cracked one eye open and shrieked. Magenta-pink and orange flames danced across his body. Was this the Gods' doing? Did they really hate you that much right now?

You noticed the hand Nezuko firmly placed on his chest and panicked further, launching your arms up to try and yank her away, "Why are you doing that?! Why the fuck are you doing that?! Stop it!"

"I'm hungry..." 

You jolted away from Nezuko to look at the speaker, who was grimacing with childish annoyance and raspily whining, "Gimme something to eat, demon brat... Gimme some blankets, Kanjiru... Gimme one of those kiss things, wife..."

And you sure did.

You grabbed his smushy cheeks and leaned down, planting a deep and slightly awkward kiss on his lips and kept yourself there, no matter how much your tears started leaking down onto his face. Nezuko squealed and covered her eyes, dragging Tanjirou to the next desperate family. The both of you didn't mind the fact that you two were absolutely horrible at kissing, still holding onto each other's faces. Until Inosuke pulled you into him.