Chapter 2

Of course it was possible they were just friends. But Leo's wink is what swayed that possibility for me. I never wanted to be the girlfriend that made their boyfriend stop talking to other girls just because they were off the market. As long as he stayed loyal, there was nothing I had to worry about. But here I was, sitting at graduation, worried about it.

When the principal ended his speech and it was time to throw our caps in the air, I didn't. My stomach hurt. I was trying so hard not to let it get to me, especially on this day, but it was getting to me. Maybe I was overreacting, maybe I wasn't. All of this was new to me. The last time I had a proper boyfriend was in middle school, and things were different then.

What made it odd to me was the fact that I've never even seen him interact with any other girls at school. I've never seen him interact with any other people for that matter.

It was very unorganised getting out of the auditorium. There were no lines, just people pushing and shoving to get through the doors. Leo waited for me. It wasn't that I didn't want to see him right now, but I was afraid to see him right now. I was scared I'd accidentally say something or act different and ruin the day.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and walked with me behind the big crowd of impatient people trying to get outside. I was sad Evie couldn't be here.

"We're graduates now, Y/n! Aren't you excited?" Leo was smiling ear to ear.

"Super!" I replied, trying to sound as enthusiastic as possible. It must have worked, because he didn't catch the annoyed undertone in my voice.

We for sure looked like losers walking passed all the groups of friends and families taking photos and laughing together. I didn't care, though. I'd never see these people again. I was imagining the house being in flames when we got home because Evie was alone for the first time when my train of thought was interrupted.

"Leo!" A male voice shouted from behind us. We turned around to a group of three boys in their now unzipped gowns.

"What's up?" He answered in a sweet voice. It made butterflies flutter in my stomach.

"How are you feeling, Mr. Devries? We're officially adults now!" One of the boys pointed out. As if we haven't been adults for the past nine months...

"Feelin' good, Alex! What about you guys?" Leo replied. It was as if he'd never spoken to them before.

"Never been better," another boy said. He had brown curly hair. The boy who Leo replied to before, who I'd come to know as Alex, had blonde.

"I see you got the girl you always drooled over, huh?" Alex asked. I felt a little bit better after that statement.

"I did, I did." He tightened his hold around my waist. The third boy was staying quiet. He seemed shy. I'd never seen him before. His hair was black, along with his eyes. I haven't seen eyes as dark as his before. He was looking at me with one of those faces you make when you want to say something but you can't. I furrowed my eyebrows.

The conversation ended fairly quickly and Leo pulled me back around and we continued walking to the car.