Chapter 13

I didn't hear from Leo for the next week. Although it felt off to not see him every day, it was kind of a relief. We needed a break from each other.

I'd applied for full-time jobs during that time. I landed an interview at a mental health clinic as a receptionist. Evie and I celebrated by dancing to One Direction for four hours straight and baking cupcakes.

It felt good to spend time with Evie by myself. Ever since my father died it had been me, Evie and Leo. I realized that she hadn't gotten my full attention since Leo came into the picture, so a week of just her and I was very much a necessity.

After a week, though, I didn't want to be away from him anymore. I needed to see him again. I was also a bit worried, especially since he hadn't even texted me once since he left my house.

I dropped Evie off at her friend's house for a playdate before I went over to his apartment. I didn't walk right in like I usually would. I knocked. Then I heard a bark.

"What the-"

The door opened up and the next thing I knew I was being hugged by a giant Husky. It left a sloppy lick on my cheek before Leo pulled it off of me.

"When the hell?" I questioned in shock.

"Two days ago. His name is Charlie." I kneeled down and pet Charlie. I was covered in a blanket of white fur already and it hadn't even been a full minute.

Although I wanted to, I didn't ask why he went and got a dog without me. I figured that it was his business. I also didn't want to start another fight.

"How have you been?" He asked as I followed him into his kitchen. I sat down on one of the stools.

"I've been good, actually. How about you?" I replied.

"Alright... I missed you..." He looked at me with his signature puppy-dog eyes. I rolled mine.

"Come on, Leondre, it was a week. We needed that and you know it," I said, regretting calling him by his full name the minute it came out of my mouth.

"Yeah, I guess so. How's Eves?"

"She's good. She's at a friend's right now. She's gonna go mad when I tell her you got a dog," I smiled. He did, too.

"Charlie's a good boy. He'll love Evie, right Charlie?" He bent over and pet Charlie, who was wagging his tail at Leo's feet.

Leo got up and walked over to me, pulling me into a hug.

"I'm serious, Y/n, I missed you." He kissed me a few times before caressing my cheek. I replied with a smile.

"Alright, Mr. Devries, let's go take Charlie for a walk," I said, grabbing his hand and leading him to the front door.

Leo hooked a leash onto Charlie's collar and opened the door. We walked hand in hand down the street, talking about the weather and other small-talk sort of things.

"I have an interview tomorrow morning," I finally told him.

"Really? That's great! Where?" He asked.

"At the mental health clinic down the road from my house. They need a receptionist, and I think that'd be perfect for me," I explained.

"Good for you."

We were approaching the cemetery. The cemetery my father was buried in. I hadn't visited him in over a month. Leo looked over at me, and I knew what he was asking me. He didn't have to speak. I nodded.

We walked down the path towards my dad's grave. The feeling of being in a cemetery is one that I am not particularly fond of. I don't know how some people find it enjoyable to hang around in cemeteries. I understand it's quiet, but I most definitely do not feel peaceful while surrounded by buried dead bodies.

As we approached his headstone, my stomach hurt. The overall atmosphere around me was like breathing through a tank of air on the top of Mount Everest- not an everyday feeling.

Charlie sniffed around as we stood in front of it. I read the name engraved on the headstone a few times over. It still didn't feel real. I still felt like he would be coming home in the middle of the night and making a racket in the kitchen in an attempt to cook mac n' cheese. I rested my head on Leo's shoulder and sighed.