Chapter 16

When I got into my car after work, I checked my phone for the first time since I left my house. I had a bunch of texts from Leo in all caps.

Love<3: Y/N!!!

Love<3: Y/N GUESS WHAT?!?!?

Love<3: OMG I'M LOSING MY MIND

Love<3: I'M GONNA CRY

Love<3: LOOK AT VDYGYWEGVY

Love<3: OMFG

Love<3: LOOK AT SOUNDCLOUD!!!

Love<3: LOOK AT MY FRIGGIN SOUNDCLOUD ACCOUNT ASAP !!!!

I did as he said and opened Soundcloud. My jaw dropped. I don't know what happened overnight, but I wasn't complaining.

Leo had gained 90,000 followers. He only had about 1,000 the day prior. Something blew up.

I looked through all his songs to see which one or two people had discovered. I came across one of my personal favorites, which had an absurd amount of streams. Comments flooded the entire section. People loved it. I squealed to myself in the car. I was already getting myself excited to tell Evie that the song she contributed the most to was the one that everybody loved.

I called Leo in the parking lot. It was perfect timing, because he had just gone on break.

"Y/n I'm going crazy!" He exclaimed. "I literally want to cry!"

"I'm crying for you!" I said. I was squealing again, but this time he could hear me.

"I really didn't expect this so quickly," he breathed after we calmed down.

"I did. You're good, whether you want to believe me or not. I told you people would love it!"

I could almost feel his grin through the phone.

"A lot of the comments said I should upload my songs to Spotify and Apple Music... should I?" He asked after a long pause.

"Of course you should!" I replied, putting him on speaker and pulling out of the parking lot.

I knew there was some sort of process to do that, and it took a few days, so I was willing to help him. I promised him I'd help him every step of the way.

"Well I'll FaceTime you tonight when I get home and we can start. I'm too excited to start tomorrow," he said. I laughed.

"Sounds like a plan!"

I pulled into my driveway, practically sprinting through the front door.

"Evie!" I yelled. She wasn't in the living room, which was where she usually hung around. "Eves!"

I ran up the stairs to her room. Her door was cracked open. I could hear soft sobs coming from inside. I furrowed my eyebrows and knocked on the door. She didn't say anything, so I just walked in.

"Evie? You okay?" She was curled up in her bed crying. "What's the matter?"

She just shook her head, huffing out a sad breath.

"It's alright, girl. What happened?" I asked, sitting on the edge of her bed. I pulled her into my arms and she continued crying.

"I-I'm just sad," she choked out, lying through her teeth.

"Eves, you're never sad. What's wrong?" It took her a while before she answered my question truthfully.

"I... I miss Dad!" She finally said. My heart sunk. It was the first time she'd done as much as even acknowledge him since the day he died. Even during the funeral, she acted as if nothing abnormal was happening.

I hugged her tighter and let her cry.