Chapter 15

He started on Soundcloud. He knew that it was a one in a million shot he got recognized, but he claimed it was just for the fun of it.

Evie and I went over to his apartment every day after I got off of work to help him record and write. Believe it or not, Evie had come up with some of the best lines in his songs. All that listening to Justin Bieber and Katy Perry must have influenced her.

It came to a point where he wanted my voice in his songs. I tried my best to do exactly what he wanted. Charlie was also tremendously supportive of Leo's dream. He sat with us for hours while Leo rapped and rapped.

None of us ever got bored of it. One night, Leo and I were just laying in my bed and talking. Charlie was snoring on the floor. It was still early on in his journey. I looked over at Leo.

"I'm proud of you," I said. He pulled me closer to him and planted a kiss on my lips.

"Thank you. It's all because of you."

"How?"

"You're my inspiration."

I smiled, tears brimming my eyes. I felt like I was home. Really home.

"I wanna do something."

"Hm?"

"I wanna go back to school," I said, then realizing it didn't make sense.

"What?"

"I mean... I wanna go back to the closet. Just for a little while... I feel like... I feel like you've found yourself, but I'm still stuck. I wanna say goodbye one more time..." He kissed me again.

"So then we will."

I closed the gap between our bodies and wrapped my arms tighter around him. He dragged his index finger up and down my back, tracing circles here and there. I nuzzled my face into his chest. He kissed the top of my head, giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling I loved so much. We fell asleep within minutes.

I woke up to my alarm blaring from my nightstand. I stopped it and turned back to Leo. His eyes fluttered open and he rubbed his tired eyes.

"Good morning, sunshine," I said.

"Good morning," he replied, his morning voice raspy. I ruffled his hair before hopping out of bed. I felt exceptionally good, especially considering it was first thing in the morning. It was my third day of work. I had already gotten somewhat used to how things worked. I liked it a lot so far.

I got ready and did my makeup in the bathroom mirror. Leo walked in right before I finished to use the toilet.

"Um, excuse me," I said as I was curling my eyelashes.

"What? I didn't want to go all the way downstairs." I giggled.

I finished up and rushed down the stairs, Leo following slowly behind me.

"Do you have work today?" I asked.

"Yes, ma'am," he replied. "Three to nine."

"So you won't be here when I get home?" I pouted. He shook his head and rested his hands on my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"I'm gonna drop Charlie off at my place before I go to work so Evie doesn't have to worry about him. I'll probably sleep at mine tonight, if that's alright?"

"Of course, babe." I kissed him goodbye and ambled out to my car, a content feeling settling deep in my gut.