Chapter 2

The next morning, I woke just as frustrated as I had been in my dream. 

Was that lady for real?

I wasn't sure what to make of the warning I had been given. Normally, some stranger spewing riddles and confusing nonsense would have gone to the very bottom of the list of people I would believe. But, I hesitated. Yes, I was a woman of science and fact, but there was no denying that my dreams had always been a bit mystical.

As a child, I would have dreams about friends or neighbors the night before awful things happened. One night in third grade I'd had a dream about my friend Jessica, and the next day I discovered that she'd been diagnosed with cancer and wasn't coming back to school. Our next-door neighbor, Mrs. Hudson, had been like a grandmother to me. But I'd had a dream about her one night, and when I told my dad how concerned I was, he'd immediately left to check on her. Turns out she'd died in her sleep that very night. Sometimes I dreamed about people I didn't recognize. But I had always chalked it up to coincidence. It didn't happen frequently enough to warrant concern. But a few years ago, my dreams got a little too personal.

I had dreamt that my dad was in a terrible car accident on his way home from work. Even though I hadn't really believed that he was in danger, the sight of my father lying mangled amongst the smoking wreckage had left me more than a little sick to my stomach. I refused to tell him about the dream. But after seeing how terrible I felt, my dad called in to work and stayed home with me. We binged TV all day and had a great time hanging out. I'd even almost forgotten about what I'd seen. But as we were flipping the channels on the TV after dinner, there was a segment on the news about a car accident in the same intersection from my dream. The drivers of both cars had died on the scene. I had never once believed that my dreams were more than my subconscious' musings until that day. I'd changed my dream. Ever since then, I'd paid attention to what my dreams told me.

But this woman- or perhaps, this angel- hadn't really told me what to look out for. She had said that a debt had to be paid on my birthday. Whose debt? My birthday was only two days away. I hoped that she would return to my dreams before then to elaborate. Being unprepared made me feel... vulnerable.

The part of all of it that truly didn't make sense was when she'd said that there was someone out there that my heart desired. I had no love interests to speak of. I was far too busy with school to get to know anyone. My heart was so far away from romantic desire that it was laughable... or perhaps it was just sad.

I also considered the idea that I was so focused on my studies that I hadn't noticed someone pining after me. It wasn't beyond the realm of possibilities. I'd had plenty of guys lining up over the years to date me before I'd devoted my life to becoming a surgeon. But I knew what they wanted from me, and it wasn't what I wanted anymore.

My looks were something I struggled with every day. I couldn't count the amount of times I'd been told I was pretty. And clinically, I recognized it. My face was symmetrical, my skin was clear, and my teeth were straight and white. But looking at myself too long in the mirror made me anxious. It reminded me of what I'd done and all the people I'd hurt...

I shook my head, willing the memories away. I walked into the kitchen, dressed and ready for whatever madness awaited me. I had a crazy schedule, thanks to the number of classes I was taking. No one had ever said getting an advanced degree was easy, but there were days I wished I hadn't pushed myself so hard.

My dad was sitting at our kitchen's butcherblock island, patiently eating a bowl of cereal while he read the morning paper. He glanced up at me as I entered, and I noticed he had a little milk stuck in his thin, graying mustache.

From his salt-and-pepper hair to his fading blue tennis shoes, dad was the image of a middle-aged man. His skin had a dark copper tan from the many hours he spent outside building houses. I knew that the fingers grasping his spoon were hard with callouses. But underneath his average exterior, he was the most unique and special person I'd ever met. Even as his body grew old, his green eyes always sparkled with life when he saw me. He was so proud of me, which made me proud of myself. His opinion meant everything to me.

"Morning, Dad." I said, kissing the back of his head as I passed him.

"Morning, sweetie." He threw me his thousand-watt smile and set down the paper. "Long day today, right?"

"Unbelievably." I sighed, pouring myself some cereal. "You may need to do dinner without me again, sorry."

"Don't apologize." He said, standing up and hugging me. "I'm so proud of everything you've accomplished. This is all a dad wants, for his child to be happy."

But I wasn't so sure I was happy, even after everything I'd done. There was a gaping hole in my heart that eroded year after year, growing larger. My accomplishments did nothing to lessen the pain. The only thing I believed could fix the heartache was the one thing he didn't want me to have. But I could never tell him that... or could I?

"Dad..." I could feel my pent-up frustration building, and I couldn't help what came out of my mouth next. "My birthday is coming up in a couple days. You've been asking what I wanted for a gift, and I think I know."

"Oh, yeah?" he leaned against the counter beside me.

"Yeah..." If I didn't say it now, I wasn't sure I'd ever say it. I took every ounce of courage I had and channeled it into my heart. I swallowed hard, preparing myself for the inevitable outburst. "I want to know about mom. No more lies, no more pretending she doesn't exist. I'm not a little girl anymore, dad. I can handle the truth."

His eyes widened. A look of fear, panic, and unbridled irritation flashed across his face. His sparkling eyes dulled. He took a long, deep breath and glared at me.

"You're about to be twenty-one years old. You need to grow up and leave her in the past. I tried to be gentle because you were young, but you're an adult now. Why can't you understand? She left you, Callie. She left us! She was selfish and only cared about herself! I was the one who stayed to keep you safe. She put us in danger and then left to keep her own reputation-!" He stopped abruptly, realizing he'd said something new about her. He turned away from me, trying to hide his startled expression.

I was reeling at his slip of the tongue. "Put us in danger?" I stared at his back, my heart pounding. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing." His voice was flat. He didn't turn around, either. Instead, he walked out of the kitchen, leaving his half-eaten breakfast behind. A few moments later, I heard the apartment door shut and lock as he slipped out.

I slumped onto hisvacant stool, unable to comprehend what just happened. 

My mother... put me indanger? 

The dreams I'd had for a June Cleaver moment were starting todissolve, and I wasn't sure if I was ready to face the truth after all.