Chapter 50

"That was incredibly kind." Hades whispered once they'd vanished. He stroked his thumb across my cheek. "You would have been well within your right to send them to the depths of Tartarus."

"I wanted to." I bit my bottom lip. "But I knew that deep down, they only wanted to be together. I couldn't blame them for that, even if what they'd done was awful. But they did need to be punished, so I took away the thing that made them a threat."

"I'm so incredibly proud of you." Hades pulled me tight into his body and held me. I savored the feeling and scent of him. "You've become a wonderful queen. And Callie, I want to say something. I cannot tell you how sorry I am for the way that I acted right before you left. I know I was under a love spell, but the things I said to you... they were unforgiveable. The moment the potion cleared from my system, all I could remember was the look on your face right before you shuttered out of the palace. It broke me into a million pieces to see how I hurt you."

I sighed and pulled away from him. I had broken into a million pieces, too. But it wasn't really him who had hurt me; it had been the mindless minion Persephone had created. I couldn't be angry. "Don't beat yourself up, Hades. This whole thing has been hard for us both. I'm just so thankful that we made it out on the other side alive."

"Callie, before you say anything else, there's something I need to say."

I swallowed, waiting for the worst.

"I have put you in the worst possible situation. I thought I was protecting you by making you come down here, but I was basically locking you up and throwing away the key. Poor decisions in the name of heroics are still poor decisions.  I didn't give you much of a choice." He brushed hair from my face and tucked it behind my ear. "You deserve to be able to make your own choices, big or small. And that's why I am releasing you and your father from the agreement."

"What?" I gawked.

"Your father can rest easy. I will ensure he lives out the rest of his years in health and happiness, no matter what you want to do. And that means that if you want to return to Earth- to your old life- you can. I won't hold you here against your will. I've learned the hard way what that does to someone over a lifetime." He put his hands on my biceps. "You could go to Olympus, too, if that's what you want. I know the allure of a life of leisure is hard to ignore. Plus, I can see your powers are incredibly strong now, and Zeus would probably be the best teacher for you."

"Olympus is not happening." I shook my head. "I don't know how much you remember from when you were spelled, but we have a lot to catch up on. I worry about the kind of person I'd become with Zeus as my teacher. And as for what I want to do with my life?" I placed my hands on his hips. "I can work on my powers anywhere. But when I think of home, I think of being here with you. Nothing in my life has ever felt so right as when I'm with you, Than, and Thalia... you really are my family."

"So... you're staying?" he raised his eyebrows, looking hopeful.

"I'm staying." I nodded.

"If anything- romantically- has changed for you, I'll respect your desires." He removed his hands from my shoulders. "I probably should have led with that."

My hands slid up the front of his shirt and gripped his collar. "I love you more than anything, Hades. Nothing has changed where my desires are involved."

I pulled his face down and captured his lips with mine. I was feverish, wrapping my arms around his neck. His hands roamed down my back and held me tight against him.

"I love you, too." He said as I caught my breath between kisses. "More than this whole world."

I waved a hand, and our clothes vanished. We were pressed flesh to flesh, and my body was almost crackling with power and need.

"So. Damn. Convenient." I chuckled. Hades shared a laugh with me, and we lowered down onto the floor.

Our bodies made up for the lost time, falling right back into step. He was so attentive, making sure that every inch of my body had been revered properly before we made love right there in the throne room.

___________________________________

The moment we were done, we set to work restoring the Underworld. The peonies bloomed, and the wind picked up, gently moving the bare tree limbs. Thanatos and the other inhabitants reappeared a short time later. The attendants had left out of fear, and the God of Death had gone along to protect them. They'd spent the last few weeks living in a camp out in a far region of the Underworld.

"Glad to see you looking normal again, sire." Thanatos smiled. We met at the door, and Hades embraced his friend.

"You can say that one again." I laughed. "Thank you for caring for them, Than." I glanced at the attendants who were wandering back into the palace. I saw Thalia in the back, helping usher people toward the door. We locked eyes, and she smiled brightly at me. My heart soared.

Yep. She's warming up to me.

"It was no problem, Mistress. I mean... you are Mistress of the Underworld again, aren't you?" Than paused.

I turned back to him and laughed. "I'm not going anywhere ever again. Not for good, at least. You'll have to drag me out kicking and screaming." I pulled Thanatos into a hug, and he gave me a happy squeeze."I'm glad to be home."

"