Chapter 46

That night, I laid in bed staring at the ceiling as I always did. But there was a soft knock on the main door. I darted over and opened it, desperate to speak to anyone. Standing in the doorway was Zeus.

"Oh." My face fell. "Hello, Zeus."

"Callie, I'm sorry to disturb you this late, but you have a visitor. I wasn't sure if you wanted to see anyone, so I thought I'd ask first."

"Let them in!" I nearly tripped over myself as I opened the door wider. I would have welcomed my brother Eros and his wandering hands if it meant I could speak to someone real.

Zeus nodded and disappeared. Moments later I heard heavy thumps echoing toward me as someone made their way up the steps to my floor.

Hades reached the top of the stairs and stopped when he saw me. I wanted to hate him, wanted to feel my hatred burn inside me. But all I felt... was longing. Even after everything, I miss him. I couldn't even speak as I stared at him.

"Callie. You... you look sick. Are you alright?" he asked.

I crossed my arms. "I'm fine." I muttered. But I knew I didn't sound convincing. My voice was as weak as I looked.

"I..." he paused as if he couldn't quite say what he wanted to. "I needed to see you. I miss you."

I frowned. The words I was dying to hear only burned me. As much as I missed him, I wasn't going back to the Underworld to play 'three's company'. I would rather rot in Olympus.

"Missing me doesn't change anything."

"I'm sorry." He bowed his head a little. "I'm so sorry."

"For what, exactly?" I leaned against the door frame.

"Everything." He looked pitiful as he spoke.

I pursed my lips as I thought about the situation in front of me. Something seemed... wrong. He was apologizing, but it didn't seem genuine.

"What do you really want, Hades? I don't think you're just here to apologize."

"I do want to apologize. But really, I missed you. The bed is so cold without you."

I narrowed my eyes. What he was saying just didn't make sense. Wasn't he sharing his bed with Persephone now? Part of me wondered if maybe he was in danger, trying to give me hints without saying exactly what was wrong. I shook off the idea. Why should I care if he's in trouble anymore? He gave up on me.

"Can't be that cold with someone else in it." I snapped.

"There's no one else in my bed." His shoulders slumped. "I only want you."

I couldn't let myself have hope.

"What about Persephone?"

"What about her? She's nothing compared to you."

I could feel walls breaking down in my heart and mind. Maybe he'd spent the last few weeks thinking about who it was that he wanted. Maybe he'd chosen me after all.

"You broke my heart, you know." I gritted my teeth as I stared at him. "You broke me."

"We can be broken together." He took a few steps forward. I stood my ground. "I know my apology feels empty, but I'm so, so, so sorry, Callie."

Tears burned in my eyes. "And I'm just supposed to forgive you?" I shrugged. "Just like that?"

He walked toward me until we were only inches apart. My heart thudded loud in my ears, my pulse quickening. I swallowed as I stared into his icy blue eyes. They were gazing into my very soul. My body was betraying me, my chest rising and falling faster.