Chapter 9

I swallowed hard, trying to follow Hermes' advice and be strong. I looked around me at the long lines of ghostly blue spirits waiting for their turn to cross. I was the only living being, apart from perhaps the ferryman. I'd never felt so out of place before, and I was ready for it to be over. I reached out and dropped the gold coin into Charon's bony hand, and a wicked smile spread across his face.

"Climb aboard." he said, his voice deep and echoing.

I put my suitcase on the seat, and then slowly climbed in. I forced myself not to look down as I grabbed the sides of the boat and Charon began to paddle. The air around us acted like water, giving resistance, and rocking the vessel a bit. I hated boats, mostly because what lurked below was usually invisible and the unknown was something to fear. I refused to look over the edge of the ferry as we punted across, knowing that whatever inhabited the River Styx was likely far worse than a shark or two.

Charon didn't speak at all, which allowed me to get my first real look at what awaited me on the other side of the river. On the left side of the bank, to my great amazement, was a three-headed dog. It was a good fifteen feet tall with ebony black fur and guarded a large ornamental gate. I tried to remember the name of Hades' canine companion, but it evaded me. To the right, I saw two women, dressed in plain gray dresses, standing next to a chariot. The chariot was affixed to four sable black horses, who pawed at the ground.

It only took about five minutes to get across, and I heaved a long, relieved breath as my feet hit solid ground. I accepted my suitcase from Charon's outstretched hand, more than glad to be rid of his eerie silence and nauseating boat.

The two women who were waiting for me stepped forward, their heads bowed low. The one on the right reached for my suitcase, still refusing to make eye contact. Not wanting to be rude, I let her take it from me. They both turned and motioned for me to follow them. They loaded me into the chariot, the horses whinnying with excitement. The women climbed in behind me, giving me enough space to grip the handle in front of me. The chariot was big enough for all three of us and my bag, thankfully.

The chariot took off toward the unusual dog but passed by without incident. The ornamental gates swung open at our approach and closed tightly behind us as we went through. We drove through dim fields and rocky pastures, everything gray and muted. The landscape surrounding me was just as comforting as it had been in my dream. The slight breeze that rippled off the front of the chariot and swept my brown hair behind me smelled like the soil after it rained.

I lost track of the time during the journey, but it felt like hours. Just as I thought about sitting down and curling up for a nap, I saw the palace.

The chariot came to a stop at the bottom of the enormous stairs, and I leered up at my new home. It was made from rough, dark stone, like basalt or lava rock. It was at least three stories high, built like a gigantic Greek temple. Huge black columns towered over me like giants. I followed the attendants up the several dozen stairs, which were flanked on either side by lit torches.

Two gigantic front doors opened. They looked more like black metal gates than doors, but as they opened, another woman stepped out. She was different than the others who had brought me here. Her dress was a dark plum color, and her curly black hair was pulled back into a low bun. She wore a thin gold wreath on her head, which was weaved in with her hair. She had deep olive skin and soft brown eyes with long lashes. She took my suitcase from the others and nodded to them. Did anyone speak down here?

"Welcome, Mistress. I am your handmaiden. If you would please follow me, I will get you settled in." She finally spoke.

I nodded and followed her inside. We entered a grand foyer made of the same dark materials as the outside. The entryway was two stories tall, with a magnificent onyx staircase leading up to a second landing. The walls were dark red, with many classical paintings and momento mori artifacts lining them. It felt like the Addams Family mansion, but after a classy interior decorator had gotten ahold of it.

We headed up the stairs to the second-floor landing and turned left. I followed her down a long hallway to the very end. The handmaiden opened a door and motioned for me to enter.

"Your room, Mistress." She bowed.

I stepped inside and looked around, stunned. The room was dark, but still comforting. The walls were covered in juniper green wallpaper with a rose vine pattern snaking up to the ceiling. The bed was a dark walnut canopy bed with green silk bedding that matched the walls. There was a vanity, a desk, a walk-in closet, and an attached bathroom. There was one large arched window, which opened out to the world around us. I'd never seen anything so beautiful in my life.

The woman set my suitcase gently on the bench at the foot of the bed and unzipped it. She began taking my clothes out and hanging them up in the walk-in closet. I stood there, uncomfortable. I had never been treated in such a way, where I didn't have to hold my own things or put away my own clothes. My dad had always provided for me, but I was always expected to hold my own weight with chores and such. He'd always given me the impression that 'damsel in distress' was not an option for me, and I grew up strong because of it.

I walked over to the window and looked out at the Underworld. This was going to be my kingdom, my home, for the rest of my life. I was going to rule over this place as soon as I was married. My stomach turned with nervous tension. I wonder when I'm going to see Hades.

"These are for you, Mistress." The woman returned from the closet, holding out a beautiful red-orange gown. She bowed her head and outstretched her arms, as if she were afraid to be too close to me. I took the dress from her and looked down at my pajamas. I had forgotten I was even wearing the hockey t-shirt and gray leggings. "Would you like help bathing and dressing?" She asked.

Help bathing? What the...

"Uh, no, thank you. I think I can manage." I said politely, walking to the bathroom.

"I will wait for you in the hallway, Mistress. When you are finished, I will help prepare you for presentation to the Master."

My heart dropped. "Oh, uh... okay." I shut the bathroom door and locked it, hoping for some privacy.

Hades and I had already been face to face before, but never on such intimate terms. The first time I'd seen him, he was staring at me from a distance. The last time I'd seen him, I'd been knocked unconscious only a minute or so later. I was not excited about being presented to him like cattle. I did not know anything about him, apart from what he looked like and that he saved my life. For all I knew, he was a scary, angry man who was just trying to protect his interests. If I had been taken away from my father and the only life I'd ever known, I hoped my new life would be bearable.

I was happy to find modern plumbing in my bathroom. I took a long, hot bath in the beautiful claw-foot tub, hoping the soak would calm my nerves. Once I was done and dry, I slipped on the gown she'd given me. It hugged my every curve and made my body look far more sexual and feminine than usual.

I stepped out into my bedroom, and I heard the door open. Momentary fear struck me, but I breathed a sigh of relief as I caught sight of my handmaiden. The young woman had returned and motioned for me to sit down at the vanity. She dried my hair with a blow dryer before braiding it and twisting it up onto my head. Her hands were very careful as she put makeup on me. She stepped away and bit her lip in concentration, looking me over. I glanced at my reflection in the mirror- I looked exactly like how a Greek goddess should.

"I will let the Master know you are ready." She zipped out the door, leaving me alone with my fearful mind.