Chapter 10

I wanted to throw up. My hands were shaking, and I could feel myself sweating. I fanned my face, trying to cool off. I wasn't sure yet how the world of mythological gods worked but showing weaknesses in an unfamiliar territory seemed like an easy way to land a target on my back.

A few moments later, I heard footsteps approaching the room, and I stood in a panic. The handmaiden returned and bowed her head to me.

"He is ready for you, Mistress." She declared. I took a couple deep breaths, trying to calm myself. I nodded and stepped forward to follow her down the hallway.

She was a surprisingly quick walker, probably from years of running after gods and goddesses. I was far too scared to ask her anything about herself. All I could think about was the meeting that was about to happen.

She stopped abruptly at a door, catching me off guard. She knocked twice against the dark wood, and I heard his voice from inside, like a memory of a dream come to life.

"Enter."

She opened the door and took one step inside, bowing her head. I swallowed and moved forward, past my handmaiden and into the dim room.

It was the study I had seen in my dream last night. The wingback chair sat in front of a fire, exactly where it had been. I glanced around the room, but saw no one else, so I knew he had to be sitting. I took one last deep breath and cleared my throat.

Hades rose from his chair and turned to face me.

He was the young man who had saved me, but he looked much more like a man now. My eyes grazed his figure, admiring him. He wore black pants and a white button-up shirt, with a black vest. His necktie was striped- black and white to match the rest of his ensemble. His face was unreadable- almost no expression was visible as he stared me down.

"Welcome." He said to me, setting down the book I hadn't noticed he was holding.

"Uh, thanks." I muttered. I flexed my fingers as I tried to relieve the nervous energy coursing through them.

"Please, feel free to get settled. Have the maids unpack your bags." He said, reaching down for a glass of liquor.

"They already have." I stated. "I only brought one bag."

He raised an eyebrow, but the rest of his face remained expressionless. He took a swig of his drink and then nodded. "Very well. Get some rest. I suppose I'll see you at breakfast, then." He picked up his book and flopped back down on the chair.

I stood in place, frozen with shock. That's it? That's the welcome I receive? He saved my life one day ago. Not to mention, I'm about to marry this guy, give him my entire future... and I get the cold shoulder?

"This way, miss." The handmaiden held out an arm, pointing to the hallway.

No. Do not let him get away with treating you like this...

I glanced at her once before walking over to the chair where Hades sat. When he saw me come up to him, he looked surprised- the first show of emotion I'd gotten from him, at least. He set down his drink and bent the page of his book, shutting it. I cringed internally at the reckless abuse of his poor book.

"I'm Callie." I held out my hand to him. My dad had always told me to go into a job interview with a strong handshake and a firm resolve, and I figured this was good a time as any to use his advice. Hades cocked his head to the side, but eventually reached out and took my hand. He shook it twice but did not let it go.

"Hades." He said, bowing his head down slightly.

"Pleasure to finally meet you... formally." I said, glancing down at our hands, which were still connected.

He smirked. "Pleasure is all mine, Callie." He bent forward and placed a gentle kiss on my hand. When his lips grazed my skin, I felt a tingle go straight up my arm and then arc downward, to a place I was too embarrassed to even think about. As soon as he leaned back, I yanked my hand from his.

"See you at breakfast!" I ran from the room.

What had he done to me?