Chapter 45

When I returned to the Underworld, I had a lot on my mind. I didn't feel as vindictive as I had when I'd left. I'd disappeared with a flourish, but I'd returned with a whisper. 

Hades and Persephone were still gods-knew-where. The thought of how far their kiss had gone had me feeling weak and empty.

I slinked back to my room and set my crown on the vanity. I leaned forward, my head drooping, and tried to decide how to move on. Would I stay here until I was forced to leave? Perhaps I'd go to Earth, and try desperately to live a normal life knowing that the end was coming? Or would I go to Olympus where I was wanted and protected, even if it was all a show?

"You look beautiful, but distressed."

I jumped, startled by the voice coming from the doorway. Hades was standing there, his hands in his pockets. I couldn't even speak. It was hard to look at him. I just nodded to my own reflection, my jaw setting hard.

"Anything I can help with?" he walked in, shutting the door behind him. He came up behind me and set his hands on my shoulders. I tensed and sucked in a breath through my teeth as he touched me. "Whoa, Callie. What's wrong?"

I fought the urge to lash out at him. I wanted to scream until I was hoarse. I wanted to throw something. I wanted to beg him to stay with me. I wanted him to tell me he loved me more than her.

"I... I know she's here." I whispered.

He stiffened, and his hands dropped from my arms. "I didn't know she was coming. She just showed up on the front steps and said someone freed her."

"Where is she now?" I asked, still refusing to turn around and meet his gaze.

"She's going to lay low here for a while in her old room. She's afraid Ares may come back for her. I couldn't just turn her away, Callie. She's terrified."

"So you're just gonna forget all the terrible things she said about you, all the years she spent hating your guts?" I moved over by the bathroom door, desperate to put some space between us. I finally met his eyes and was surprised to find them void of any guilt.

"You said yourself, if I have the ability-"

"Don't spout my own words back at me." I glared. "You've done a bit more than help her. And so have I, apparently."

He paled as he realized what I'd said. "She said a girl freed her."

I shook my head. "No, a queen did. A queen who only wanted to help someone in trouble. But the second we were out of there, she abandoned me without a thank you. And what reward awaits me in my own home? The sight of my husband kissing the woman he claimed he didn't love anymore." I spat through gritted teeth. Angry tears welled in my eyes.

"Callie." He swallowed hard, the guilt finally visible. "I'm so sorry. Honestly, I never thought I'd see her again. I figured that the second we rescued her she would disappear from my life for good. But she showed up on my doorstep, injured, and I'm the one she needed. There's a piece of me that will always love her. I cannot force these feelings away as if they don't exist!"

I moved forward and placed a hand on his cheek. He didn't move away, like I'd feared. In fact, he turned his face to nuzzle my palm.

"But do you love her more than you love me?" My stomach twisted as I waited for him to answer.

He hardly paused. "I'm trying to sort everything out, but this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

For the second time that day, my heart shattered. No, he didn't love me more than he loved her. If he did, he would have said so.