Chapter 34

He threw his bag over his shoulder and did as I commanded, though he didn't look happy to let his child stand in front of him when danger stood just on the other side of the door.

"Can we just slip out the back?" Dad whispered.

I nodded, glancing to the doors that led to the pool. I thought I remembered seeing a gate during the first trip there. It must have been private room access to the beach. Dad could slip out and head to the beach while I figure out how to contact Hades...

Dad started for the door, and I ran after him. As soon as we were outside of the villa, I pointed to the gate. "There! Head to the beach!"

I heard the doors inside the villa smash as they were blown in, ripped right off the hinges. I forced my dad out of the way just as a piece of one of them collided with my back and head. I saw only a blur of the world around me and white flashes in my vision as I was knocked forward. I hit the cement with a thud. My head sang with agony, and my back throbbed.

What happened? Who is hurting me?

My brain escaped its fog, and I forced myself up. I had to be strong. I had to get us out of here. How? Maybe I could use my transporting ability to get us somewhere safe. But where would we go?

My dad was scrambling to his feet from where I'd knocked him over.

"Get over here, dad!" I shouted, reaching for him. He threw out an arm and ran toward me. Our hands connected, and a feverish alarm covered my thoughts. I couldn't focus. My brain screamed enemy enemy enemy hurry hurry hurry.

Whoever broke down the door had rushed into the villa. Realizing it was empty and we were escaping, they made right for us.

Before I could calm my thoughts enough to focus on a safe place, someone grabbed a fistful of my hoodie and yanked me backward. I felt like I was on a bungee cord, my body being ripped in a different direction without warning. I felt weightless for a few long moments, but I knew the impact was coming. I crashed hard against the side of the stone building, knocking the wind out of me. I landed in a heap on the ground, pain flaring across my back yet again. Every inch of my body felt like it was on fire.

"Callie!" my father shouted from where he stood.

Slow footsteps crunched through pieces of glass and debris toward me. I channeled enough energy to pick my head up and see who was coming toward me.

A man- no, a god- stalked toward me. He was nearly seven feet tall, with light brown skin flecked with gold, and long black hair tied back from his face. He had on battle gear, a golden chest plate and leather pants. He wore huge boots that looked like they'd hurt like hell if he kicked me. He was a mass of muscles and imposing strength as he glared down with his golden eyes at my broken figure.

"Callie, you've got to get up!" my dad yelled again. He was frantically looking around for something to use, knowing he didn't stand a chance of surviving if he ran into the fight with his bare hands.

I forced myself up, my head spinning. My back burned and I groaned in agony as I righted myself. Something warm ran down from my temple, dripping off my jaw. I ignored both wounds, preparing myself to get my dad the hell out without dying first.

I allowed my power to fill me up, like a bomb ready to explode. I just had to knock this monster back long enough to grab my dad and take him somewhere safe. In my panic, I could only think of one place.

He swung his fist at my face, but before he could make contact, I threw my hands out, grabbing his wrist. My hands lit up as they collided with his arm, and his arm stopped moving. The giant man looked down at me and his eyes widened.

"Who are you, truly?" his deep booming voice asked.

I didn't waste time answering, or by asking him the same question (even though it was weighing pretty damn heavily on my mind). I squeezed the muscles in my arms, trying to channel all my power into them. I moved sideways as hard as I could, and threw him over the pool, where he crashed into one of the fence panels. It crumpled like cardboard under the sheer size of him.

I seized the moment, running toward my father. He'd found a wooden chair and was trying to lift it over his head. He dropped it the second he saw me running toward him.

I grasped his arm and focused as hard as I could. With my fear now so far from my mind, it was easy. The world changed around us.

We were standing outside the house where Hermes had taken me my very first night amongst gods. This was Jyri's old home, and it was silent apart from our heavy breathing.

"Callie, what did you do?" my dad gasped. "You have powers now?"

I nodded, feeling the pain in my back increasing as the adrenaline started to recede. The world swayed around me. "I'm not sure why they didn't show up until just recently, but yeah. It's..." I sucked in breath through my teeth as a stabbing pain rocketed across my skull. My ribs burned in response and I clutched my side. I was in pure agony. I could barely stand. I reached up with my other hand and held my head where it hurt, praying for relief.

"Callie... honey, you have to find Hades. You're injured, and it's bad. Go to him, now!" he shouted. "I'll hide behind this house until you send someone. Hurry, before that man finds you again! I love you, sweetie. Now, go!"

I took one last painful look at my terrified father before I nodded and shuttered myself home. Using the last of my strength, my legs gave out and I landed with a painful thud at the base of the huge onyx stairs in front of the palace. I tried to sit up, but my body was drained. I couldn't budge an inch.

I stared up at the bleak gray sky as my vision went hazy. I could feel blood running down my face. I didn't know if I was dreaming, but the last thing I remembered before everything went dark was the sound of Hades screaming my name.

 I didn't know if I was dreaming, but the last thing I remembered before everything went dark was the sound of Hades screaming my name