Chapter 44

The throne room was spotless and radiant. Every single piece of evidence that there had been murders committed in the space was gone. It smelled like fresh air and sunshine.

"My, my. Welcome, Mistress." Zeus' voiced boomed from his throne. "You do know how to make an entrance."

His makeover was breathtaking. His body looked like the statues that I remembered adorned the entryway of his palace. His toga was pure white and clean, and it fit him properly. His hair was clean and combed. His teeth were white and straight. He looked healthy, daresay attractive even. He rose from his seat and took a few steps forward.

"Please, call me Callie." I retorted. If I was about to lose my place as Mistress of the Underworld, I didn't want anyone calling me Mistress.

"Callie, of course." He smiled. "I'm so delighted you accepted my invitation. And might I add that the necklace looks exquisite on you, though it does not outshine you for one moment."

He was laying it on thick, but I didn't care.

The one thing I'd learned plenty of during my short weeks in the Underworld was politics. The schmoozing, the ass-kissing, and the hardball were all in my repertoire now. Words were just as powerful a weapon as a blade between royalty. I wanted some safety for me and my father if I was to be returned to Earth, and making an ally out of Zeus felt like the easiest way to achieve it.

"I must give you a thousand thanks for this necklace." I gushed. "Normally I wouldn't accept something so... extravagant," I grinned. "but I could hardly think of a reason not to."

He was soaking in every compliment and praise I threw at him.

"I wanted you to know how absolutely horrid I felt after you left." He sighed poetically, clasping his hands together.

"Apology accepted, of course." I shrugged. "But I'll be honest... was that all you really summoned me here for? Or did you have," I took one look up and down his figure, "other intentions?"

Bingo.

Zeus' mouth slipped into a wide cheshire grin. "You're so perceptive, Callie. As it happens, I have an opening in my court, you see." He motioned to the empty room around him. "An opening that I believed you to be the best candidate for."

"And this opening... what is it?" I raised an eyebrow, playing my part as the coy queen.

"My consort, of course." He purred. "Hera has unfortunately decided to part ways with me permanently. I respect her wishes, truly," He lied, "but you moved me in a way I cannot describe. Your words were sharp, but they were well-aimed. You were harsh, but fair. Quite like a queen should be."

I glanced up at the crown on my head. I had no intentions of letting him think my position in the Underworld was in jeopardy. "Of course, Zeus. I am Queen of the Underworld, after all."

"Too right." He nodded, suddenly somber. "Please, come sit."

He motioned to the much smaller throne beside his, and I sat. He took a seat next to me and we turned to face one another.

"Now," he folded his hands in his lap, "I don't want you to think I'm poaching you. I understand you're happy with my brother down in the Underworld. But there are things about you that he will never understand. That world of his is dark and cold. You are part-human. You crave the light and warmth. You yearn to live amongst joy and praise. Your heart is faithful, especially to your parents, of course." He paused. "You're particularly fond of your father, yes? The man who sacrificed so much to raise you alone, how could you not be?"

My spine stiffened as I realized we were finally getting somewhere. "I am." I said as short as possible.

"I know what it would mean to have him safe with you once more. Alas, humans cannot enter the Underworld. But I am Supreme Ruler of this universe. I am the Master of the Sun and Sky, of Earth and man. I decide the rules for my kingdom, and if I say a certain human may live among us, no one will dare question my word."

Was he saying what I thought? Would he truly let my father live safe here in Olympus?

"My father?" I asked, wanting confirmation.

"It could be arranged, absolutely." He nodded. "Callie, please consider my offer. You are beautiful and strong, caring, and passionate. You would make the most wonderful queen."

For one whole moment, he had me. I imagined living here in the sunshine with my father. He could live without fear, without worry. He would never again have to work, but instead just relax and enjoy himself. He could be rewarded for all the years he toiled just to make my life decent. But I remembered what Zeus had done to me. He'd threatened my life as an innocent infant, and my father's. He was the real reason my mother had to leave. If he hadn't wanted her so much, she would have been able to be with me and dad forever.

Also abhorrent was his distaste for humans. He was violent and malevolent when he didn't get exactly what he wanted. He was a wicked god, and I'd never be able to trust him further than I could throw him. Not to say I trusted him being close to me either.

And I knew that being his consort wouldn't mean much of anything when it came to power. Hera had been shunned aside and behind for how many millennia? Nothing would change with me by his side. The only things Zeus wanted me for was to hurt his brother and warm his bed.

The thought of sleeping with Zeus was nauseating to me. No matter how good he looked now, the image of him rotting away with innocent blood covering his clothes would never leave my mind. My stomach rolled as the image of him hovering over me, grunting, filled my thoughts.

My heart hurt, too. Hades had kissed Persephone right before my very eyes. I'd given him my heart, my mind, and my body. And even though my heart felt like a pancake lying on the Autobahn during rush hour, it was still yearning for Hades.

"I'll think about it, Zeus." I nodded. "This isn't an easy decision to make, but it certainly is tempting."

"As it should be, my dear." He looked me over, his eyes stopping on the necklace around my throat. "Do come back anytime."