Chapter 5

Ember:

It has been three weeks now since my birthday. I have a week and a half to find earth. I know that the others all think of me as fire, not unlike how I think of them as their elements. We don't know each other's names, so we use our elements as names until we meet each other. It will be harder to verify that I am the elemental, not just some teenager now because everyone knows the legend and lots of kids have dyed their hair unnatural colors. I am walking through the woods because that is where I expect earth to be. Something is in the clearing up ahead. At first I think that it is just a horse, but as I get closer I realize that it is the only unicorn in existence, the earth elemental. I walk up to him and stroke him on the neck. "Hi beautiful boy," I say. "Would you become your human form for me?" He transforms to his human state.

"How did you know I could become human?" he asks.

"Your horn gave it away, you're the only unicorn in existence," I respond.

"What's your name?"

"Ember, what's yours?"

"How do I know you aren't just some kid who knows the legend and dyed her hair?"

"I'm the fire elemental, you can trust me."

"Prove it."

He has told me to prove that I am who I say I am, so I will just probably not in the way he expects. I am going to become my dragon form.