Chapter Five: Midnight Adventuring

"I GAVE HER WHAT SHE WANTED," Lucas whispered. "It, uh, took a couple tries but I think she's right on the edge of believing me,"

"Nice," Kat bumped her shoulder against his. "I think I'm still the littlest bit skeptical,"

"You don't believe in demogorgons?" Lucas said, looking incredulously at the fortifications they'd made. 

"No, I believe in Dart. Just the whole 'other dimension', mind control, telekinetic girl, what happened to Will? You gotta admit it's a lot,"

"Yeah, I guess. We've been through a lot this past year,"

"And you know you can talk to me, yeah? About anything this past year?" 

"Don't I already do?" Lucas said bluntly.

"True," Kat shrugged.

She heaved herself down the rusty ladder, where Steve, Dustin, and Max were.

"Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear. Why are you even hereif you don't believe us? Just go home," Dustin said heavily in one breath.

Kat's eyes widened at his tone, slowly sitting down on a craggly bus seat.

"Geesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" Max said, defensively as she headed up the ladder to Lucas.

Steve also had the same dumbfounded expression, before getting a hold of himself. He clearly hadn't expected Dustin to take his advice into 'completely trash talk Max'. He went on the safer route, though, with; "That's good. Just show her you don't care."

"I don't," Dustin said, quickly and casually.

Steve winked.

"What're you doing, Harrington?" Kat said in disgust. That man could not wink.

"Why are you winking, Steve? Stop." Dustin said curtly, before going to sulk in a corner.

"Little shit," Steve muttered, flicking his lighter on and back off.

"Cut him some slack, he's going through his early love life. Just like you," Kat said, 

Steve scoffed. "Sure. By the way, I didn't tell you earlier; Nancy and I are toast,"

"I knew that," Kat said. "From the night of the party, you two seemed distant,"

"Yeah. But we're actually not a thing anymore. Toasted as in golden-brown bread. She might've told me I'm bullshit and we weren't in love," Steve said, rambling. He wasn't quite sure why he was ranting about Nancy to her elder sister, probably the worst person at Hawkins he could be telling this to, but they were about to face a demogorgon, so why not?

"Wow, was she drunk when she was saying that?" Kat was genuinely shocked.

"Yeah, but y'know, drunk words, sober thoughts," Steve mumbled.