Chapter Thirty: Escape Attempt No. 1

KAT

KAT

A WHILE LATER, KAT WAS SHAKEN AWAKE BY ERICA. An angry 'wake up!' was hissed, and Kat had trudged along with them out of the movie theater and her nap. As they walked, the lights of the cinema hallways lit up more of her vision. The carpets were navy, with multicolored squiggles on the design, and the walls matched it.

"How long was I asleep for?" Kat yawned, as her feet, still in her sneakers with the laces untied, dragged against the linoleum.

"Ten minutes," Dustin said tightly, his head whipping around every nook and cranny.

"Really?" Kat furrowed her brows. "It felt like an hour,"

"Yep, yep, yeah," Dustin muttered distractedly. "God, where are they?!"

"Wait- who?" Kat said stupidly.

"Steve and Robin," Erica rolled her eyes as they speedwalked. "Missing,"

"Oh," Kat's eyes went wide. "Shit. Uh, maybe they went to the food court?"

"Not likely. They wouldn't even have the intelligence to go down an escalator," Dustin said impatiently. "Kat- check that house," he pointed at the door to another cinema compartment.

And Kat did. Some kid's movie was playing, the loud music extremely distracting from her scanning the faces for a familiar dingus and band kid. They weren't there, and Kat left the doors, disturbed.

"They weren't in this one," she said, facing Erica, who'd just reappeared from the house opposite them. The latter shook her braids, indicating Steve and Robin's absence from where she went as well.

"Shit," Dustin hissed, and broke into a run. Luckily, Kat was far taller than him and caught up easily. Erica, on the other hand, was short and still wore her backpack, shin, and elbow guards, took a few seconds.

Finally, they burst into a bathroom, all panting and out of breath. And there they were, Steve and Robin, sitting opposite towards each other, legs sprawled all over the place as they laughed together. Steve was laughing without the influence of the drug, Kat could tell, by the curve of his eyes and the way his ribs shook. Robin's hands clapped together as she laughed, and for a second Kat felt a twinge of envy.

"Okay. What the hell?" Dustin said, glaring down at the duo, who further erupted into laughter.

"Steve- what are you doing?" Kat said, a bit angrily now. The whole bathroom stunk of barf, and Steve was laughing along with another girl in the same stall.

"Oh-" Steve bit back another bout of laughter, the grin snapping out of his face. "We were interrogating ourselves. Like- to see if the drug wore off,"

"And did it?" Kat asked sharply.

"Uh- we think so," Steve said, looking between the two women in front of him.