Chapter Twenty-One: Blue Bayou

KAT

KAT TOOK A LONG SWIG OF WATER, SITTING CROSS-LEGGED ON THE WOODEN FLOOR. People walked by the glass walls, but they didn't care that much. Pawel was looking humorously at her disheveled state.

"It totally isn't fair that you get to work out less than me," Kat sighed, not feeling like she could drink more water even though her throat was still dry.

"Nah, I'm just the showgirl," Pawel said casually, and Kat halted for a brief moment. Now, this was a little rewinding; who among the duo was the actual showgirl? It was a pretty philosophical question.

"Do you know if Spinnet's coming tomorrow?" Kat asked, referring to their boss and manager.

"Yeah, but at my session,"

"Thank god," Kat rolled her eyes. They got along well, but Kat wasn't a fan of the burly man with ginger hair. And it was good that he was coming when it was only Pawel teaching, in the most coveted class not featuring her. 

"Where're you gonna go for lunch?" Pawel asked, leaning against a wooden closet.

"I dunno. I haven't tried the Teppanyaki downstairs, people say it's good,"

"Hm, nice. I might go to the Imperial Panda," Pawel said, the two of them steadily facilitating their small talk.

"That's a good idea," Kat crawled over to a counter and pressed on it to stand up, her legs feeling like jello. "Wanna close for an hour?"

"Sure," Pawel said, grabbing his fanny pack and heading out the door. "Are you coming?"

"Yeah, I just- uh, need to go to the bathroom first," Kat said, taking another swig of ice-cold water.

"Okay. See you soon," Pawel grinned like a Cheshire cat, and closed the glass doors of the Jazzercise behind him.

Kat threw on a cardigan and a pair of denim shorts over her pink tights and blue bodysuit, and after using the bathroom, she took her wallet-sized handbag in one hand, flipping the sign out front to 'CLOSED'. She retreated back to the front desk, a pink high desk that connected to the ground, two white stools at the back. She double-locked the register, flipping the lights off. Finally, she looked up, eager to go to Scoops Ahoy, but her eyes narrowed as she saw two small figures that looked highly suspicious. The two of the barreled into the Jazzercise, out of breath.

"Hey, girls," Kat said, confused but smiling. "Are...you supposed to be here?"

"No," El giggled.

"Oh. Okay," Kat trailed off, debating whether she should give them a pep talk.

"El was feeling down," Max said easily, lounging on the counter as she placed her head on her elbows. "That's why we're here,"

El's round face narrowed in tight frustration, and Kat noticed the Coke in her hands. Kat leaned back against the popcorn walls, crossing her arms.