Chapter Twenty-Six: Child Endangerment

KAT

"ARE WE SURE ABOUT THIS, STEVE?" Kat asked, nervously fiddling with her glove.

"...What do you mean?" Steve asked quizzically, turning to face her. 

"Erica. And Dustin, and Robin. We could be dragging them into danger," Kat said.

They were prepping for the night. Kat had already closed the Jazzercise, and with a brief stop back home for dinner, they were back inside the mall once more. Kat was still wearing her Jazzercise outfit, though, since she had forgotten to change. Yet, the pockets of her tights had a few mini granola bars in them in case she got hungry (which she did, a lot).

"I mean- now you put it into perspective, it is sorta risky. But it's the right thing to do,"

Kat rolled her eyes uneasily. "That's exactly what Robin said,"

"Hey-" Steve said, and placed both hands on Kat's shoulders. "If you're worried about Robin, or Robin and me-"

"No, Steve," Kat said, breaking into a shocked miniature smile. "I'm not worried about you and Robin. God- no, I'm worried about Dustin and Erica,"

"What? They'll be fine, we're gonna look after 'em," he said reassuringly.

"These are Russians, Steve. Armed, dangerous Russians," Kat said clearly.

"I can throw a punch," Steve grinned.

"No, you can't. And neither can I, or Robin. This- this is a bad idea,"

"Hey, don't say that," Steve furrowed his brows. "We'll be fine. Look- I get it why you could think this is a bad idea, I know you got a really bad scar last time. But this is totally different-"

"Totally different?" Kat said incredulously. "We're going on a mission we barely know anything about, with kids. We're not American Heroes, Steve, we're teenagers!"

And she believed she was right. Kat had turned eighteen only a few months ago. They weren't Captain America spying on Nazis, they were just kids. And the haunted world breathing alongside them had cursed them to the bone, twisting their morals into a wicked sense of conquer or be conquered.

And if their argument couldn't get any bit worse, the lights of Scoops Ahoy lit up Steve in a way only reminiscent of picture books. His hair, and Kat hated to admit it, looked really hot. And Kat's right hand tingled from the time she, Steve, and Dustin had driven from the movie theater and she'd mussed it up. And his blue shirt had a wide neckline, giving view to his collarbones and a small valley where his skin disappeared into shadow. Kat tried to keep her gaze looking into Steve's eyes, but it was rather distracting. 

"Katie-" Steve said, frustrated now, and saying her name in one rushed breath. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but you're...kinda overthinking,"

"What?" Kat said angrily.