Chapter Ten: The American Revolution

KAT

"BUT IT'S FUN! SUPER FUN, YOU GET TO WATCH MOVIES ALL DAY!" Kat defended.

"Uh, huh," Lucas said sarcastically, waggling the red cherry in his milkshake in Kat's face. "Totally,"

"Yeah," Max agreed with Lucas, an oreo milkshake in her hands. "I still don't get why anyone would want to work in a stinky black room cleaning up popcorn spills,"

"It's cool," Kat said lamely, before continuing. "Kids your age. You'd never understand the excitement of being a part of the working class,"

"Wait, if you're working all time as well as doing college stuff," Lucas said, as if coming to a harsh realization. "Does that mean we can't meet up twice a week anymore?"

"Um," Kat hadn't considered that her and Lucas' milkshake-infused tutoring sessions would be put on hold. "Probably not twice a week, but I'll try my best to make once,"

"Damn," Lucas swore, stirring his milkshake grumpily

"I'm pretty sure we've gone over the physics textbook twice already," Kat said, snorting as she placed her own red cherry on a napkin since she didn't like the taste. 

"Well- yeah, but we won't get to hang out as much," Lucas said in protest.

"What a loser," Max scoffed from Lucas's side. "No offense, Kat,"

"None taken," Kat said. "A hundred percent agreed,"

"Hey!" Lucas exclaimed indignantly to the laughter of Kat and Max.

After the Upside Down incident, Kat's life had returned back to normal. Her arm had fully healed, though, to her displeasure, two scars ran down from the middle of her lower left arm, one of them snaking around her wrist and curving around the back of her hand. Kat felt a little chill go down her spine every time she stared at the scar, the growl of a demogorgon echoing in her mind. She had taken to wearing fingerless gloves on her left hand to hide the silvery patches of skin where her blood had clearly been reworked. She felt a bit ashamed to hide, but the patch of cloth covered her scars successfully. 

Besides, the first time Eleven saw her with it on, the girl had smiled widely before telling her how the black leather glove was bitchin'.

"You guys could hang out with me at the mall during shifts," Kat said, taking a sip of her strawberry milkshake. "Y'know, if you six haven't gotten too cool for me,"

"Nah, we're gonna be nerds forever," Lucas shook his head, laughing.

They finished their milkshake outing, Kat driving Max in front of their neighborhood opening (Max insisted on walking the remaining distance so her stepfather didn't see them) before driving Lucas home as well, a good fifteen minutes before Mrs. Sinclair got home. She then headed home herself, parking into the Wheelers' driveway with the same ease.