Chapter Twelve: Fountain of Youth

KAT

"MIKE, COME ON!" Will yelled from the door.

"Can I go now?" Mike sighed, turning to Kat from the dining table, her page of notes about notes lying on the wood.

"No, I haven't finished," Kat said. "To wrap up- write down all the demos, tips-"

"Mike! Hurry up!" Will yelled again from outside.

"Coming!" Mike screamed in response, Kat groaning at his volume. She couldn't wait until he hit puberty and she didn't have to listen to him shriek all day.

"Fine, go," Kat said, and Mike nodded before scrambling out the door to go to Will's house.

Kat tossed her page into the nearby trash can, stretching her sore limbs as she stumbled upstairs to get her handbag for the movies. A tin of lip balm, spare cash for popcorn, and a gloss were tossed easily into a beaded purse as the rev of Steve Harrington's BMW filtered through the glass of her window, closely followed by Dustin's yelling for her to come downstairs.

Laughing, she ran down the steps, throwing on a pair of boots as she closed the door, keys in hand.

"We're gonna be laaaate!" Dustin called from shotgun.

"Stop paaaanicking," Kat said in mock irritation as she clambered into the backseat. Steve pulled out of their driveway, the comfortable backseat of his burgundy car a stark contrast to Kat's own electric blue AMC Hornet.

"We're sneaking food in," Steve declared proudly, much livelier now that he was out of school. He tossed her a few small bags of sour candy and M&M's. "Put those in your purse,"

"You sure we won't get caught?" Kat chuckled, noticing the bulge on Dustin's stomach where there was the clear outline of a bag of chips tucked into his waistband.

"Nah, we're total ninjas," Dustin said, grinning at Steve then at her.

"Exactly," Steve said. "Don't sabotage our plans, Katie,"

Kat scoffed, eyes smiling as they pulled in front of a red light. Kat took the time to help hide the snacks better, with the chips tucked neater inside Dustin's shirt and the smaller bags inside Steve's sweater sleeves.

"This movie's gonna be good," Dustin snickered as Kat adjusting his baseball cap to hide the chip bag underneath.