Chapter Twenty-Eight: Enchantedness

KAT

THIS HAD JUST GOTTEN A LOT MORE COMPLICATED. For one, she was kissing Steve Harrington. Second, she was kissing Steve Harrington. Kat gently pulled away as their initial adrenaline dimmed, though her cheeks were flushed, her hands were shaking, and the taste of him sang on her lips like a choir. She opened her eyes to look at Steve, who also had his eyes opened now. 

He had a small line of stubble going up to his ears, due to not being able to shave the past week. Small scars dotted his face, from growing up to Jonathan to Billy. A small sloped slit curved over one eyebrow, slitting it in half, though barely noticable. His nose was also just the slightest to the right, the result of a punch from two years ago. And a bit of his lip was just the smallest bit raised, back when Billy had broke the skin there and it had gotten a little infected. But his eyes were the greatest majesty, the elevator lights reflected in them. They were dark brown in the lighting, and Kat longed for them both to be in sunshine, for when Steve's eyes came in touch with a yellow ray, they flashed into a enchanting golden, warmer than any streetlamp or fireplace on a snowy day.

"I love you," Steve whispered to her as both his arms curled behind her back. Kat's heart tha-thumped at that, not expecting him to say it so quick. She opened her mouth in surprise, before Steve whisked the tip of his thumb across her bottom lip, the tingle making her look down and back up again. "You don't have to say it back. You just had to know,"

Kat swallowed, feeling like she was forever riding the slope of a rollercoaster, the euphoric firecrackers lighting and relighting in her stomach. Her lips mouthed something along the lines of an 'okay', but her voice didn't catch up with the signal. Did she love Steve? Except she wasn't right for thinking that right now, as she remembered that they were still in the elevator, and all the shit she'd just spewed in his face. "Steve- I'm sorry for what I said,"

"Oh, that?" Steve waved a hand. "It's all good,"

"No- I," Kat took a breath, knowing Steve would rather hear it than feel it on his lips. "I made a mistake, I shouldn't have yelled, and I shouldn't have shut you down for continuing the plan ahead," She looked up, anxiously awaiting Steve's response. Steve smiled at her, wider this time, and gently tucked a curl of her hair behind her ear. His hand brushed the nape of her neck, sending rushing signals all over at the sensitive contact.

"Thank you," he murmured, before his eyes widened as well, as if he remembered something else, too. "And- also, I'm sorry too, I messed up, I shouldn't have yelled, and I should've listened to you. Before, all the days ago,"

"Ya think?" Kat said against his lips. "It's all good,"

"Yeah?" Steve grinned, and the elevator lights looked like stars in his midnight shaded eyes. "Can Mission Ladybird still commence?"

Kat laughed, the sound breaking from her dry, parched throat, sliding jaggedly through the cracks. "Can I still pull you up?"

Steve grinned again, and Kat watched as the sides of his face pulled in opposite directions, making room for the lips she ever loved. "Step Three, then. A Starcourt Mall spy mission?"