Chapter Twenty-Three: Spycraft and Secrets

STEVE

"MHM?" Steve squinted through the binoculars. They were Dustin's, and probably bought several years ago, which was why the lenses were too small, and also why you had to tilt your head almost up like a dish in order to see through them properly. Also, Steve's nose kept poking the bit in the middle.

"Also, look for earpieces, camo, duffel bags, that sort of thing," Dustin said to his left tensely.

"Right, okay, duffel bags," he muttered, as he scanned the top floor. Almost everyone was walking, which made it hard for Steve to sweep through all the faces and accessories. Except when he caught sight of two familiar faces, coincidentally leaning against the railing. "Man, come on,"

"What?" Dustin said urgently.

"Anna Jacobi's talking with that meathead Mark Lewinsky," he whined. "I mean, not that that's a big deal or anything; just that they're not right for each other, man,"

"If you're not gonna focus, just gimme the binoculars,"

"Like, when you're just spectating, you're like; how does that happen? Because how does it? Honestly, the society we live in,"

"Dude, you are the worst spy in history, you know that?" Dustin sighed, snatching the binoculars off, tugging at the string remaining at Steve's neck. "Gimme those,"

"Hey- stop," Steve protested, his eyes remaining on the duo.

"I don't get why you're looking at girls. You have the perfect one in front of you," Dustin looked through the binoculars instead.

"-Seriously, if you say her again,"

"Kat,"

"No- stop it,"

"Kat,"

"No," 

"Kathryn,"

"Stop,"

"Katie,"

"No! Man, we're not like that. We're not even- like, in the first step of that direction," Steve huffed, flicking a hair out of his vision.

"Okay, Robin, then," Dustin said, looking at him snootily.

"No, dude! She's not my type," 

"What's your type again, not awesome?"

"Thanks,"

"You're welcome,"

Steve adjusted his position to criss-cross-applesauce, the previous weird crouch being too heavy on his hip muscles. 

"Kat- she's just...it's hard to explain. She's Nancy's sister, which makes it a bit weird, and she's going out of Hawkins for college, to Purdue. That's like, two hours away, man. How am I gonna date her if she's not even here half the time?," Steve shifted. "Y'know, there was a rumor last year that she's still a virgin. Not- not that that matters, duh. But it- dude, this stuff, she doesn't have experience, y'know? And she's never had a long-term boyfriend, either, though I dunno whether that's legit. But I need somebody who's got that skill set, y'know?"