Chapter Eighteen: 'Tis The Damn Season

STEVE

"STEVE'S DOING WELL, ARE YOU?" Delilah Harrington asked gently, reaching over the pastry tower to place her hand over his own.

"Delia, it isn't concerning whether or not he's doing well right now, what matters is his wellbeing in ten years," Conrad Harrington said in his smug-ass voice.

His flight had been delayed, so they were having tea on Christmas Eve instead of a few days before. Which was a problem, because One: it was Steve's dad that was coming. And Two: that Steve and his mom couldn't go to China Blossom as tradition on December 24th.

"I'm doing good," Steve said shortly, which was partially true and partially that he wanted to piss his dad off even a little bit.

"That's great," Conrad defended, leaning back in his armchair. He'd taken the chair at the end of the table, as if reclaiming his position as head of their household. It wasn't like that seat had been filled by anyone for thirteen years, but the effect of that superiority he held was only amplified. And Steve hated it.

"Yes, Steve has plenty of friends at school," Delilah added excitedly, looking at her husband with admiring eyes. "Carol Hagan, Tommy Perkins, and a lot more,"

Steve took a swig of his tea, not bothering to correct his mom. Besides, he, Tommy, and Carol weren't friends anymore.

"That's good. Build up those connections, son. They'll be valuable in your work future. And Carol Hagan? Is that a kid of Charles's?" Conrad stabbed an olive with a toothpick, Steve narrowing his eyes on the way nearly half of the wood was poked into the olive, a bit of himself wishing the olive was Conrad's eye.

"I believe so," Delilah said with wide eyes. "Is she, Steve?"

"Yep," Steve said uninterestedly. Except his Dad caught on to his boredness, and targeted his attention on him instead of his wife.

"Got a girlfriend, Steven?" he asked. Boy, that man liked olives.

"Nope,"

"Oh?" his mother interjected. "I thought you were with Nancy Wheeler?"

"Yeah. Uh, we broke up,"

"Good!" Conrad bellowed, his straight posture a contrast to Steve's slouch. "High school relationships never last; but they're a valuable opportunity to build experience for your future lovers,"

Opportunity. What wasn't a fucking opportunity to him?

"Well, Nancy was very lovable," Delilah frowned. "Did you wish her a Happy Christmas, at least?"

"Mom," Steve said, looking up pointedly. "We're broken up,"

"Okay, okay," Delilah said defensively, turning back to her mini sponge cake.