twenty-three. thief

twenty-three. thief

The Wreck had finally reopened and Skye had never been happier.

Not only was Skye trying to make and save money, she was also running out of things to do. Not to mention, JJ was being incredibly weird lately.

When she arrived at the Wreck, the midday rush was beginning. While it was slower than usual due to having been closed for a few days, it still held a usual sense of busyness.

Her first table ruined her mood for the entire day; it was Topper. He was seated comfortably in the booth with a menu pulled up to his face, waiting for the server who had just walked in the door.

"Good afternoon," he greeted the girl as she arrived at the table.

Skye glanced up from her notepad, spotting the boy and immediately shoving it in her pocket. Her arms crossed subconsciously at his presence.

Her lips formed a line. "Can I help you?"

He had a smirked etched onto his features. "You have time for a chat? Maybe sit down and have a soda?"

A dry chuckle escaped Skye's lips. "You trying to be funny?"

He now laughed quickly. He glanced up at her, maintaining strong eye contact. "Are you trying to steal my girlfriend?"

Skye scoffed. "Why would I do that? Why are you here?" She shook her head, running one hand over her left ear to secure the hair, before recrossing her arms.

"Well you're obviously a lesbian or something, look at that haircut," he remarked, raising both eyebrows. "Besides, maybe you're trying to get back at me or something."

Skye rolled her eyes. "Let me put it simply. If I wanted to steal your girlfriend, she wouldn't still be your girlfriend. Furthermore," she spoke, biting her lip in thought, "I'm honored you think that highly of me. And that would be a nice plan. Would you like me to steal your girlfriend? Because I'm sure I could call her right now-"

"Okay, you know what?" he questioned, clearly becoming frustrated and not expecting the conversation to go the way it was.

"Hm?" Skye challenged in reply.

"Let's just forget this conversation happened, alright?" he nearly pleaded. He was irritated.

Skye shrugged, nodding in agreement. "So I shouldn't mention it the next time your girlfriend invites me out for lunch because she'd rather see me naked than you?"

"I'm leaving," Topper announced, sitting the menu on the tabletop. "That's what you want, right?"

Skye smiled. "Have a great day, Topper," Skye stated, turning on her heel and lowering her arms. She then headed back towards the kitchen.

"Everything okay?" Kie questioned, having carefully watched the conversation occur from the kitchen from the moment she had realized it was Topper in the booth.

Skye nodded, a certain confidence present in her demeanor. "Great."

She grabbed another two menus, heading out of the kitchen.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Upon arriving back at John B's after work, she found everyone seated on his porch (Kie had left early since she opened). Everyone seemed to be involved in a serious conversation.

"Am I interrupting something?" Skye questioned, glancing at the four who were seated on various pieces of furniture.

JJ rose to his feet, a beer in one hand. He threw his other arm around Skye's shoulders. "Just the girl we were waiting for!"

Skye glanced between everyone, her eyebrows pulling together. "Everything okay?"

"They're talking about how they're going to split the $400 million," Kiara explained nonchalantly.

JJ nodded. "And I think I'm entitled to a percentage increase based on the fact that I'm the only protection from the Square Groupers."

"I'm sorry," Skye began, laughter taking over her. She turned to JJ who still kept his arm draped around her frame. "What?"

JJ squeezed her. "Can't you see it? Huge house on the beach? Paying someone to tie your shoes? The best kush on the East Coast?"

"What're you gonna do with your cut, Skye?" Pope questioned.

Skye removed JJ's hand from her shoulders, shaking her head as she fell back into the seat. "Oh, no, I shouldn't be included-"

"You're apart of this group now," John B explained, shaking his head in confusion.

"I want to be out," Skye reiterated. "I appreciate it guys, I really do, but I don't want it."

JJ pulled his eyebrows together. He laughed dryly. "Yeah, who doesn't want almost a hundred million dollars?" he remarked, taking a swig of his drink.

Skye shook her head. "Money corrupts everyone. To the core." She glanced among them all. "I know it sounds like bullshit, but money won't make you happy."

Pope shrugged. "Eh, I think I might be a bit more inclined to be happy when I'm a millionaire." She glanced at him, shaking her head. "Sorry, Skye."

"I'll find new problems to worry about when I'm filthy rich," JJ stated. He took another drink of his beer, falling back into the chair behind him.

Skye shrugged. "I've seen what it does to people. Take it for what it's worth."

All JJ knew was that it wasn't worth one hundred mil.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───