twleve. handshake

twelve. handshake

Skye should've known it was going to be a rough day from the second she clocked in. Her first table of the day consisted of a grumpy old man who swore left and right that he had ordered shrimp tacos at the restaurant.

They didn't have shrimp tacos.

Upon hearing the man yell at Skye that his wife had called the previous day and she had been told they served the Mexican food with a oceanic twist, Kiara came from the back followed by Mr. Carrera. He told the man that he didn't need to speak to his waitress like that and that they didn't make fish tacos currently, nor did they ever.

The man was still rude, but bearable. Kiara have her props for being so decent to him despite the treatment. Due to his senseless yelling that made Skye actually want to cry, the kind older woman who witnessed the scene left Skye an extra ten dollars on top of the already generous tip. She was grateful for that woman, as she gave her hope that maybe her day would look up.

The day took a surprising turn at an exchange she had with a women dining with two children, as well as another women and a child.

A women asked if an item was made with nuts, which it didn't. Skye then elected to explain that there was, indeed, always the chance of cross contamination with other items that did contain the allergen. She asked about another menu item, Skye explaining the same thing.

The lady then nodded, glancing over at the little boy who sat next to her. The words that fell from her mouth were, "You know what? It's fine. He has an EpiPen." Despite trying her damndest to keep the women from noticing, Skye's draw literally dropped. She played it off with a cough, heading directing into the back of the restaurant to tell Kiara what had just happened.

The ten hour shift Skye had taken, due to the Wreck being severely understaffed, wrapped up with a woman who sat down at 7:15.

She asked for a vegan meal. While the Wreck didn't have anything particularly vegan, Skye suggested a garden salad without the cheese.

The woman wasn't pleased by that, so she decided on the veggie burger. Skye explained that it contained mayo, which made the burger vegetarian instead of vegan.

The patron insisted that mayo was fine and that she knew what was vegan. Skye elected to leave it be and let the woman get what she wanted, even if she was incorrect.

Her and Kiara headed back to the Chateau around 8:15.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Skye sat on the couch with a beer in her hand, John B passing one to JJ and the boys completing a handshake of sorts. After the day she had, she needed something to take the edge off.

She let out a laugh, pulling the bottle from her lips. "What is that?" she questioned towards JJ as John B sat down on the floor across from the boy.

"You don't know the handshake?" JJ questioned, shaking his head in mock disappointment. He pulled his bottle into his lap, then setting it in the table in front of him.

She shook her head. "What handshake?"

JJ pulled himself from his chair, standing in front of the girl. He pulled her drink for her hand, setting it on the table behind him. He then grabbed Skye's hand, holding her right with his right. He then let go, clapping her hand. "Clap, grab, hit and snap." He walked her through it after he had slapped her hand, gripping her smaller hand in his and then pulling it away, bumping them together, and snapping. She laughed lightly at the handshake, doing it again with JJ.

"Now you know the handshake." JJ remained in front of her for a moment. Skye grabbed his hand, pulling him in to the couch next to her. He allowed her to. M His face held confusion.

She then leaned forward, grabbing her beer from the table. She shrugged. "What? You were blocking my drink." She pulled it back to her lips, taking another sip.

He simply shrugged it reply, grabbing his drink similarly and leaning back into the couch.

John B then glanced up. "I heard Rafe Cameron is into you." He smirked simply, throwing his head back and drinking a large sip of his beverage.

Skye brought her fingers up to her mouth and pretended to gag.

"Not kidding, JB, he started drooling," JJ threw in, "Just saliva, everywhere. All over the pier."

Skye rolled her eyes, "Disgusting. Can't a girl enjoy her beer?" She glanced between the boys due to their ridiculous comments.

John B held his hands up. "I'm just telling you what I heard."

Skye shook her head. "I don't know him, but I don't like Rafe Cameron. Besides, he'll probably leave me alone now that JJ scared him off."

JJ shrugged. "Not that I need an excuse to irritate the rich asshole, but god, how I don't mind." He had a simply bliss in his words as he thought back to the previous day.

"Did Kie say she was coming back?" John B questioned in the direction of Skye who had been with her less than an hour ago.

Skye shook her head. "She said she had to do something with her mom." It was only the three of them, as Pope was also preoccupied. The three that were left tonight were the three with fucked up families and broken homes.

Usually when she had a day like she had today, she would go to her boyfriend's house. They would get completely and utterly high together, and then probably hook up. Being high would make her forget the day she had, and not mind the way he treated her.

But she couldn't do that anymore. Even though she just really wanted to smoke right now, she knew she couldn't; the moment she slipped back into her old ways, she was a mile closer to home. She wanted to stay as far as possible from Amber Byrne and the life she led.

She swallowed her thoughts and washed them down with another sip of her alcoholic beverage.

"You okay?" John B questioned from his spot on the ground. He glanced up at the girl who had a distant look on her features. Skye simply nodded. "You sure?"

"Yeah, just thinking." That was all she could manage to get out as a sort of explanation. "Today at work," she began to explain, hoping they would find the story at least half as amusing as she did. She explained the tale about the boy where his mother claimed he had an EpiPen, so allergies wouldn't be an issue.

It caused a ride out of John B. "Lady definitely killed her first husband," JJ concluded.

The topic then turned to how amazed John B was that the Cameron's, the uber rich family her worked for that Rafe had been created through, had air conditioning on their boat. He also didn't understand why they didn't have it in their home if they were oh so wealthy.

JJ threw his head back from his seat next to Skye. He brought the conversation into a completely different direction.

"Do you guys ever think about bugs having families?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───