Part 11

Marinette was a zombie walking into school the next day. There were five Akuma attacks last night. Five. She didn't get any sleep. Once she was in the courtyard she gave a weak wave to Alya and Nino but went straight to class. She sat down in her seat and put her head on the desk.

Adrien came in a few minutes later. No one else was in the classroom yet. "Alya told me you were here."

Marinette looked up at him. He looked the way she felt.

"Maybe this is Hawkmoth's new strategy. Tiring us out until we can't function anymore."

"Well it seems to be working. I don't know how I'm going to get through the day," Adrien said as he sat down. He also put his head down on the desk. "Wake me up when class starts."

The rest of the students slowly came into the classroom. Alya sat beside Marinette. "You okay?" she asked.

"I'm super tired, I stayed up way too late last night," Marinette replied, keeping her head on the desk.

"What were you doing up so late?"

"Working on some designs," she mumbled.

"Well I hope one of them was for a dress! Did you hear the news?" Alya asked excitedly. "The school's having a dance in two weeks right before the holiday break! It's going to be awesome!"

"Really? A dance? Since when does this school hold dances?" Marinette asked.

"Since now, girl!" Alya said before Miss Bustier started her lesson.

The day went by in a blur. Marinette was so tired that she could barely keep her eyes open. Luckily there were no more Akuma attacks that day. Right after finishing dinner Marinette went up to her room and passed out on her bed. She didn't wake up until her alarm went off the next morning.

************************************

The next couple of days went by without incident. Marinette had stopped by Adrien's house each night to deliver a box of macaroons. Each visit lasted longer and longer. Adrien was beyond thrilled to spend time with Marinette again. There was nothing better than listening to her laugh.

When Marinette arrived at school Friday morning, Alya was talking about the upcoming dance. Nino rolled his eyes at Adrien as she went on and on about it. "Did you start on your dress yet?" she asked Marinette.

"I don't think I'm going to go " Marinette replied.

Alya's mouth dropped open. "What are you talking about? Why wouldn't you go?"

"I've been pretty busy lately. Plus, Luka's band got hired to play there so I wouldn't even have anyone to dance with."

"Oh come on, it'll still be fun! Nino's not big into dancing either. Me and you will hit the dance floor, girl!"

"I don't know... one week is not really enough time to design and complete an entire dress," Marinette said.

"Oh please. I've seen you whip together an outfit in a day before. It's not going to be any fun without you there! Please, please, please! Don't make me beg!" Alya exclaimed, grabbing Marinette's shoulders and shaking her.

"Alright, alright," Marinette groaned so Alya would stop. "I guess I could come up with something."

"Yay!" Alya cheered. "This is going to be awesome!" she said as they made their way to class.

************************************

At the end of the day, Marinette pulled Adrien aside.

"Hey, would it be okay if didn't come over tonight with the macaroons? I really need to start on my dress."