Part 16

Almost a full month went by, and Adrien and Marinette still hadn't made their relationship public. Ever since she became Ladybug, Marinette had gotten used to lying to everyone around her. But she hated this lie more than all the rest. One school day, when she and Adrien were alone, Marinette finally brought the subject up again.

"I think it's time that we tell everyone what's been going on," she said.

He sighed. "I know, I'm sorry... I've just really enjoyed it being the two of us. No one bothering us, or asking questions, or trying to take our picture. You know that once we go public with this, things are going to be different, right?"

"Yeah, I know Adrien. But I'm tired of all the lying. Can we at least tell everyone here at school? I mean, I have to lie to my friends about so many things, I don't want to have to lie about this too."

"Alright, Princess," Adrien said slowly, brushing the hair away from her eyes. "I have an idea. Let's tell everyone here tomorrow. Today will be one last day just for us."

Marinette smiled up at him. "I think that's a great idea." She leaned in to kiss him one more time before they had to leave.

After lunch they had Miss Bustier's class.

"Listen up everybody," Miss Bustier announced, "For your next assignment, we'll be splitting up into groups of three. Each group will be responsible for a five-page essay and presentation that is due on Monday. Each group will be assigned a different French philosopher who will be the subject of their project. We'll be working on it for the rest of the class today. Oh, and I will be selecting the groups."

The class let out a collective groan.

Miss Bustier ignored them. "The first group will be Nathaniel, Mylene, and Alya. Next is Sabrina, Aurore, and Juleka. Next let's have Nino, Rose, and Mireille. Then we'll have Marc, Ivan, and Marinette. Finally, Chloe, Lila, and Adrien."

Adrien felt sick to his stomach. Not only was he not with Marinette, but now he was stuck with Chloe and Lila.

"Let's break into our groups," Miss Bustier said.

Marinette turned around and gave Adrien a sympathetic look as she went over to join her group. Adrien trudged over to his.

"Oh Adrikins!" Chloe yelled out as he approached her desk. "What fantastic luck we have, getting paired together. It must be fate!" She tried hugging him as he sat down but he pushed her away.

"Hi Adrien," Lila said, batting her eyelashes at him as she sat down on his other side.

"Oh, hey Lila," he mumbled.

He was trapped in the middle of them. This was not going to be fun.

************************************

Even after Miss Bustier's class was over, Adrien couldn't get away from Chloe and Lila. They were vying for his attention, and he hated it. All he wanted was to spend time with Marinette, but the two girls followed him around the rest of the day. He was absolutely miserable by the end of his last class.

When the final bell rang, Chloe and Lila both came up to him again and started talking about the project. Adrien watched as Marinette got up from her seat and left the classroom with Alya and Nino. He got up to follow her. "Why don't we keep working on the project tomorrow. I have to go now," he said to Chloe and Lila, trying to get them to leave him alone.

"I have a better idea," Lila said. "Why don't I come over to your house today and work on it there? I know your father usually doesn't let you have friends over, but we get along so well that I'm sure he won't mind."

Chloe quickly jumped in. "Well Adrikins and I have been best friends since we were babies. I've always been allowed to go over to his house!"

"Oh, that's right," Lila said, smiling. "I forgot that you grew up together. Of course you're allowed at his house, you're like a sister to him!"

They continued bickering back and forth as they followed Adrien out of the classroom.

He was still flanked by Chloe and Lila when he found Marinette. She was across the courtyard talking with Alya and Nino. As the bickering around him escalated, he suddenly knew what he needed to do.

Passing right in between Chloe and Lila, Adrien made a beeline straight for Marinette.

"Adrikins, where are you going?" Chloe asked as he walked away.

He didn't respond, he kept walking across the courtyard. He stopped right in front of Marinette. She looked at him. Suddenly, he grabbed her, wrapping his arms around her head and her waist. He tipped her backwards and kissed her passionately.

Chloe and Lila's mouths fell open. Alya gasped and shouted "Yes!" All the students around the courtyard reacted with gasps and squeals as they noticed what was happening.

Adrien pulled Marinette back up and broke away from the kiss. She looked up at him speechless. He put one hand up to her cheek and said loudly "Marinette, I'm in love with you. Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes," she replied meekly, too surprised to say anything else.

He wrapped her up and kissed her again as the crowd around them started cheering. Chloe's mouth was still hanging open. Lila's mouth had curled into a snarl.

Marinette stared up at Adrien after they broke from the kiss. "What happened to 'one last day just for us'?" she asked him quietly.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't wait any longer," he replied.

She smiled at him but didn't get a chance to say anything more. Ayla yanked her away from his grasp. "I knew something was going on!" she announced, hugging her friend. The girls surrounded Marinette, congratulating and hugging her.

All the boys gathered around Adrien. "Dude, that was awesome!" Nino said, patting him on the back. "Way to go, man." "Congratulations" the others chimed in.

The only two people in the courtyard who didn't join in on the celebration were Chloe and Lila. They remained where they were standing until Chloe spun around and stormed off. Lila wasn't far behind her.