Part 17

Adrien had a huge smile on his face as he sat for dinner. Everyone at school now knew that he and Marinette were a couple. His happiness faded slightly, however, when he saw that his father was joining him at the table. Adrien was apprehensive to tell him about his new relationship. His father wasn't exactly the most open-minded and accepting person in the world.  Halfway through the meal, Adrien decided that it was time to get it over with.

"Father?" he asked. Gabriel looked up at him. "If it's okay with you, can I invite my girlfriend to come over some day after school?"

Gabriel sighed. "Alright, you can invite Kagami to come over next week."

"Oh, Kagami's not my girlfriend anymore," Adrien said. "It's Marinette, from school."

Nathalie, who had been standing along the wall, quickly looked over at her boss.

Gabriel narrowed his eyes. "Marinette?" he asked, quietly.

"Yeah! You remember her, don't you Father?"

Gabriel shook his head. "Oh Adrien, you can't possibly be serious. There's no way that you're dating a girl like that."

Adrien's face dropped. "What is that supposed to mean? A girl like what? Marinette's wonderful! She's sweet, she's smart, she's beautiful. And, she even loves fashion, just like you."

"Well, that explains it," Gabriel continued. "She's obviously just using you to get herself into the fashion industry."

Adrien's mouth fell open. "Fa... Father, how can you say that?"

Nathalie spoke up as well. "Gabriel, I think you're being a little harsh..."

Gabriel lifted up his hand, silencing her. He paused before speaking again. "You're not dating this girl, and that's final. Now break up with her immedi..."

"What?" Adrien interrupted. "I'm not going to break up with her, I'm in love with her!"

Gabriel shook his head. "Oh Adrien, you don't understand anything about love."

Adrien glared at his father. "And you think you do?" he shouted across the table.

"How dare you speak to me that way!" Gabriel shouted back. "Go to your room!"

Adrien kept glaring at his father as he pushed his chair back and walked out. After a minute, Nathalie and Gabriel heard his bedroom door slam shut.

Nathalie looked over at her boss. "There are better ways to handle this, Sir."

************************************

Adrien ran the few blocks to Marinette's house. After he left the dining room he had gone over to his bedroom door, opened it, and slammed it shut. He then snuck downstairs and out the door. He was not going to stay locked up in his room that night.

Marinette was sitting at the dinner table with her parents, Tom and Sabine, when she heard the doorbell. Sabine went downstairs to open the door. "Marinette!" her mother called, "you have someone here to see you." She looked up to see her mother leading Adrien into the room.

"Adrien!" she said, getting up and running over to him. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry, Marinette. I just needed to see you," he replied, grabbing both of her hands.

She smiled at him, and was going to speak again when she suddenly remembered where she was. She turned her head and saw her parents staring at them. Adrien looked over too and dropped his hands to his side.

Marinette gave an awkward smile. "Maman, Papa, you remember Adrien."

"Yes, of course we remember you, Adrien. It's great to see you again!" Tom said.