CHAPTER 9

It had been two weeks since I fled from San Diego and from that man to New York. Yes, New York! When I decided to flee away I didn't really have an idea where to go to. When I had arrived at the airport I called Carol and Aden and told them about my decision, of course, at first they were shocked, confused and then they called me a bitch and other names for not telling them personally,  but they were my friends so they were woeful that I was leaving them.

Aden told me that I could use his apartment in New York, he said that no one was occupying it,  that he was just using it when he visited the town. He said that he will call the owner of the building so he could give me the spare key. At first, I was hesitant to accept it, because I didn't want anyone to know where I'm about, but then again I haven't had enough money to rent an apartment. I still had months before my flight going home; back to the Philippines.  I accepted it and made them promised that they were not going to tell in any soul where I'm about and in return, I promised them that I would give them a call as soon as I land.

On my first days in New York, I immediately applied for the opened menial jobs such as housekeeper, baby sitter, store tenant, and so son. I'd just looked for menial jobs because  I need money for the next couple of months before going back home and start my life again from there. I was thankful though that I got in in a seafood restaurant, and the wages were enough for me to live in a couple of months.

"And here you go." My co-worker Caleb said. He was holding a tray with our food on it. We were both assigned to night shift so we decided to grab a lunched together before going to work as he was just living close by from where I lived and had a motorcycle so I didn't have to walk to work. He usually gave me a ride going to work whenever we were assigned on the same shifts.

"Thanks! I'm famished." I said and get my food from the tray.

"Wait wait! Let's take a picture first, I haven't posted anything for a while now on my social media accounts, I'm sure my friends and followers are waiting for this, and the lightning here is good." He interrupted when I was about to take a bite from my double cheeseburger.  I rolled my eyes at him and put down my burger back on my plate.

"Okay." I said and leaned on the table so we could fit through the frame of his phone and made a peace sign.

"1 2 3."

"Happy? Can I devour this now?" I asked him jokingly.

"With all your might madam... There I posted it you still haven't accepted me by the way." He looked up at me.  I choked on my burger.

"Geez, here are you alright?" He handed my drinks. I took a sip then put it back on the table. I cleared my throat before speaking.

"Yeah. Accepted you say?" I asked him.

"Yeah. On Facebook I sent you a friend request, you're weird you know, you told me you don't have one?  Why are you hiding something miss?"

"Of course not. I told you I don't have  one because, that one you've sent your friend request to, was no longer mine it was hacked I can't access it anymore, and I don't want to make a new one because I seldom used it anyway." I told him nonchalantly and continued eating my burger. The real reason I did not use any social media was for safety precautions, I didn't want that infuriating man to find me and all the things I've sacrificed would just go in vain just because of a single post in social media.

"Okay, but if you will change your mind and decided to make a new one tell me okay?" He said like a child. Well not really a child, maybe a youth like? If there's like that.  Caleb was still young nineteen to be precise.

"Okay.' I said after that we continued eating our food then went straight to the restaurant after we finished.

"Hey what's going on?" I asked Mila, my other co-worker. We were both dressed in a sailor-like uniform. It was a fitted white short sleeves sailor uniform with a blue handkerchief tie, partnered with white plane skorts and white sneakers lastly a white sailor cap with blue line on the front.

She just shrugged her shoulder as an answer.

Our restaurant manager Mr. Steve asked all of us for a brief meeting inside the kitchen. They said this kind of meeting was usually about the cutting of the salary or worst of the employees. Either way, it was still both bad news.

"Everyone is here now?" Mr. Steve asked roaming his eyes.

"Ok, the reason why I called this meeting is to inform you all that just earlier someone rented the whole restaurant, they will be here at six—"

"And you just telling us  right now sir?" One of our chefs asked.

"Yes. And I want you all to be efficient, this guy is a—"

"How many are they? How about the menu? Do you think we could all prepared it in 3 hours?" One of the chefs interrupted him again. Soon you could hear all of the murmuring, complaints, and questions of the employees. They all stopped when our manager slammed his hand on the dispatching table.

"If you could just let me finished, you idiots!"  After his outburst, no one dared to speak.

Mr. Steve sighed "Ok. As I was saying. This guy rented the whole restaurant at six o'clock and he already paid it, not just a down payment, a hundred percent paid."  Ohh and ahhs echoed in the room  "As per the food and drinks just offer them whatever we have or better yet offer the most expensive ones. He also has an account worth ten thousand,  if they exceed that account then they have to pay it. hmm, what else."   Mr. Steve murmured while touching his chin with his thumb and index finger. "hmm yeah there just two of them." 

This man must be filthy rich. Who would rent a whole restaurant if they're just two? Hayys these freaking rich people tsk tsk tsk.

"So now get back to work and make sure you will just give them the finest cutleries, glasses, and plates that we have, and of course the best service"

"Yes sir." We all said together

" Oh, I almost forgot, Sal I want you to personally assist them." He said when I was about to leave the kitchen. I looked back at my manager flabbergasted

"Me? Why me?" I asked him. Don't get me wrong of course I could handle it but it was just odd I'm just new, he should've assigned Melissa since she was working here longer than any of us.

"Yes you, why you can't do it?" He asked like he was challenging me.

"Of course I can do it, sir. Just wondering," I answered.

"No time to wonder kid. You still have a lot of work to do, remember don't embarrass me and the  restaurant, we need that kind of customer." He said while his eyes were twinkling, I bet he was thinking about dollar dollar dollar and more dollar.

"Count on me, sir." I told him with a salute then left the kitchen.

---------------------------_------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Hi! Guys 👋

Another chapter again, I hope you enjoy it 😊

Don't forget to like, comment and share it would mean a lot. Thanks!

Keep safe and happy reading 😊