CHAPTER 21

Uncomfortable silence two perfect words to described the atmosphere enveloping us inside the car. Driving us into the abyss of an uneasy feeling. No one dared to speak, no one dared to break it, just pure silence.

The gorgeous black-haired young lady who I have known as Mara Massimo's younger sister sitting next to me at the backseat of the car was sending daggers to Massimo who was sitting at the passenger seat. If looks could kill he would be long gone.

Based on what I've gathered she waited at the office just to invite Massimo personally for her upcoming engagement party. But what confused me was the way Masimo reacted about the news. Engagement leads to marriage right? And marriage was a good thing. So why does Massimo reacted the exact opposite of joy, delighted and everything in between?

Keep your curiosity to yourself, Sally. My subconscious rebuked and she was right. It doesn't concern me, it was a family matter- their family matters. I shouldn't peek my nose in their business.

As soon as the car halted on the ground of the mansion, I wasted no time shuffling out. As my feet touch the solid ground a newfound atmosphere surrounded my body. I felt the heavy sensation clinging onto my core like a damned cloaked has instantly vanished. I was relieved that I was no longer trapped inside the confinement of the gloomy automobile. That was the worst awkward ride of my life, I thought.

Right over the threshold standing were Maria, Dante, and Guilia excitement and elated expressions on their faces. Maria wasted no time bridging the distance between us. She threw her arms around the lachrymose Mara.

The tears that threatening to fall in the corner of Mara's eyes flowed down her face like a steady stream of water in the warm summertime. Maria hugged her tight and closed. Her arms engulfed her and it was a meaningful pose, It was special. It was a motherly hugged- warm, ample, and soothing. No words escape their mouths but the message was loud and clear. From the bossom of their warm hugs, they've understood each other.

I couldn't help but think that I was intruding on this kind of moment. A moment of two long lost souls separated by time and circumstances of life had had finally found one another. Conveying through their warm hugs and soft caresses how much they've missed each other.

As soon as Maria untangled her arms around Mara, Dante who was waiting patiently wrapped Mara around his muscular body. It was a brotherly hugged. As soon as Dante detached himself from Mara, Guilia wasted no time from caging her in her arms before kissing her cheeks and murmuring soothing words.

⚜⚜⚜

If I've thought that right after the mini-reunion that had happened earlier, everything would fall into the right place. The dispute between the two siblings would finally be resolved. I was so wrong from hell and back. Massimo refused to have dinner with us; as soon as the sole of his shoes touched the marble floor of the mansion he went straight to his office and locked himself in. And so was Mara she locked herself inside the confinement of her own bedroom.

I was having dinner with Maria, Dante, and Guilia inside the kitchen. Three of them were talking endlessly about how they've missed Mara and how she grew up as a fine lady. But no one dared to bring up the unspoken feud between the two siblings.

I'd just thought, on my one month of living in the mansion I haven't heard any stories about the Vitéli family, except the one night Massimo strumbled about that he has a sister who loves to watch vine videos. But that was It and never heard it again from him and from anyone. Massimo's family was like a taboo subject inside the mansion.