Angel of Small Heath

Eden was the Angel of Small Heath.  Born out of wedlock to a Chinese mother who was only trying to make a living and never got to see her daughter, and a father who was only passing through on his way to London. Eden grew up sewing and tailoring clothes in Chinatown. She never dreamt she'd ever get to leave until one Mrs Polly Grey came for a new coat. Something in Polly Grey's heart broke at the sight of the small girl. Desperate to give her comfort in the cold world, Polly began introducing Eden to her family, and over the years Eden was never seen without one of the Shelby brothers close by.

Despite the harsh reality of being a girl of mixed race in unforgiving Birmingham, Eden was the softest purest thing for miles around. She wore silk cloths sewn by hand, that payed homage to her heritage. She brought colour and smiles to everyone she ran into, and everyone knew better than to comment on her background - not with the Shelby boys leering at them over her shoulder. She was Small Heath's very own angel.

Of course, angels can't prevent wars. And as the boys went off to war, Eden swapped tailoring clothes for nursing wounded soldiers. Something in her dimmed over the years. She was still the Angel of Small Heath, but things change. Things change and some things never return the same.