five.

1919

Eden was right, Polly was at the church. The two women looked at each other from across the room. Polly's eyes narrowing as she focused on the small cut on Eden's cheek. Crossing the room quickly, Eden fell into the older women's arms, breathing in the familiar smell of sweet smoke and incense. Polly was the mother Eden had never had, and treated her as such. Polly guided Eden over to a pew and took the younger girls hands in hers. Eden started talking and everything just fell out. Everything from her knowing Tommy had the guns, and Danny killing the Italian and then the raid this morning. Eden told Polly how her apartment was the only one in her block that got raided.

Polly didn't seem surprised, just nodded, there wasn't much to say and both women knew that. Polly  simply guided Eden over to the candles, handed her a match and together they started lighting candles for all the men they had lost.

Footsteps sounded behind them. Eden didn't turn to look around, she and Polly both knew who it was.

Polly was the first to speak, "You come here when you know the boys are away at the fair. Interesting." Polly's hand never wavered as she continued to light the candles, hearing the footsteps draw closer.

"You mean your nephews with their guns and razors?" An Irish voice drawled from behind them, "Is it them you're lighting candles for?"

Eden grit her teeth, she wouldn't react. Not for this man.

"No." Polly responded shortly. "I'm lighting candles for the boys who lost their lives in France."

Gesturing with her head, Polly indicated to the list to the right of Eden. "There's a list there. Look."

Eden forgot how to breath as Inspector Campbell drew closer and closer. She hoped he wouldn't look at the list. She didn't want him any closer to her.

"I hear you didn't make it to France inspector Campbell." Polly continued, she was goading him and knew exactly which buttons to press.

The man chuckled, "You've heard of me. I've heard of you."

Campbell was positioned on the right of Eden, looking down the block of candles at both women's faces. Eden couldn't bear it anymore, and blew out her match - taking a step back and away from the tension.

Polly looked up finally, blowing her own match out. "I heard you came knocking on Eden's door this morning."

Campbell's eyes wandered over to Eden. She stared back while Polly continued, "the whole apartment in that block. Funny that." Polly added dryly, looking at the man from under her eyelashes.

Campbell broke the gaze with Eden, clearing his throat. "I had to make sure your boss was listening."

A cold feeling washed over Eden. He knew. He knew about her and Tommy. About all of them. How could he have known that Eden was important to this family. He wasn't from Small Heath, and anyone that valued their sight knew not to go talking when new meat started asking questions. Especially not answering to a copper.

Eden had been so caught up in her surprise that she had not heard the rest of the conversation continued by Campbell. What caught her attention was him shoving Polly against a wall. Eden started forward, ready to assist when Polly leaned in and kissed the old man.

He appeared as startled as Eden was, because he took a step back - giving space back to Polly.

"Sorry," Polly began straight faced, " I misunderstood your intention when you pushed me against the wall."

Eden had to stifle a laugh at her actions, as she watched the old man pull out a handkerchief and wipe over his lips. He stared down the two women, as Eden walked over and held Polly's hand in hers. A uniting force.