fourteen.

1919

There was a sudden flurry as the Shelby's ran about the wedding, jostling each other to get everyone into the cars.

"We'll meet you at home!" Polly commanded, guiding Ada towards the car.

The boys just nodded and hopped into the other car, smart enough to listen to the older lady. "C'mon darling, I've got you, don't worry." Eden gently hummed to a distressed Ada, holding her other hand.

"I won't let anything happen to you or your baby yeah?" Eden asked again, squeezing Ada's hand. Ada dropped her a grateful look, squeezing her hand in return.

By the time all the Shelby's had arrived at the Watery Lane, Polly had guided Ada indoors with instructions from Eden to prepare water and cloths. Esme followed the other women in at the reassurance of Eden, who was waiting for the boys to arrive.

As they pulled up, Eden hurried towards the car. She could hear the boys talking about something but she was too busy to process what was being said,

"Eden!" Tommy found his way out the car. "Everything's okay!" Eden confirmed, "I need to go inside and help Ada, there's nothing you boys can do right now."

Arthur and John cheered, slinging an arm around each other and heading towards the Garrison. Tommy just nodded, turning to follow them when Eden held onto his sleeve.

"Ada needs Freddie." Was all Eden said, looking straight into Tommy's blue eyes. He sighed a bit in exasperation.

"I couldn't go through this without you," Eden argued, "how is it fair to make Ada do it?"

Tommy leaned forward, holding Eden's face with both hands, kissing her fiercely. "He has till midnight tomorrow." Tommy decided. "He's a safe man till then."

Eden smiled, nodding and kissing Tommy again quickly. "I love you." She whispered, running back towards Ada, "you better send word to him now Tommy!" She called back.

Tommy just nodded, tipping his hat to her and making sure she made it safely in side the house before turning and following his brothers down the street.

———

Ada's labour thankfully wasn't too long, and finally, after a lot of pain and struggling - Ada was holding her new born babe. Eden had cleaned him up and was standing watching from the door beside Polly. Freddie had arrived shortly afterwards and was crouched next to a crying Ada. The couple formed a protective shield around the new baby, two loving parents against a world of war outside.

"That could be you soon enough," Polly remarked, standing next to the young girl, watching a Freddie cradle his new son.

Eden just blushed - "we'll see Pol. Let us get married first."

Polly went to say something else when a sharp banging started at the door. Polly and Eden shared a confused glance, and suddenly the door burst open. Police stormed through the small entryway.

"What are you doing! Stop! There's a new baby here!" Eden cried, but the small girl was nothing against the force of the officers and they slammed her into the wall - her breath forced out of her body and her head ricocheting off the wall.

Through blurry eyes and a very loud ringing noise, Eden watched disorientated, as three figures pulled who she thought was Freddie to his feet, marching him out of the house. The ringing sharpened to shrill noise and Ada's screams finally broke through the white noise.

The sound of Ada screaming broke Eden's heart. What had happened? Campbell had happened, she knew that much but how? How did they know Freddie would be there?