seven.

1919

Tommy had decided that the Shelby's were going to the Garrison one day. He was adamant that they had all been working hard and they deserved the afternoon off for some beer and cards.

Eden knew that he was waiting for Kimber. Tommy had the first steps of a plan in place, and over the past couple of nights the two had collaborated to get the best outcome. Tommy hated to admit it, but with Eden's help - his plan to get his family business legitimate was getting closer and closer, he could almost touch it.

"Ah, why did you let them sing Tommy!" Arthur shouted, throwing down his losing hand of cards. "They sound like strangled cats out there."

John just laughed, collecting all of the cards together, shuffling them for another round. Tommy just took a sip from his glass, smiling. Grace had asked him for the singing, but he knew he had only said yes because Eden liked to hear the happiness in the men's voices.

He didn't have a chance to reply, when Grace bustled through the door lugging a bucket of beer. Placing it on a chair next to the table she started filling empty glasses. "Whisky?" She asked, holding up a bottle of Irish in her other hand.

Tommy just shook his head, while Grace filled up Arthur's and John's cups. She didn't offer Eden, who sat on the to the right of Tommy. Not that Eden would of noticed anyways, she was too caught up in her book to notice anyone.

"Why no whisky Tom? Are you expecting trouble?" Arthur queried, looking at his brother over the rim of his glass.

Grace kept trying to catch Tommy's eye, but was too busy staring at Eden. Grace finally gave up, and left, slamming the door to the snug behind her.

Eden finally glanced up, her green eyes darting around looking slightly disorientated.

"What?" She asked innocently, looking at the boys who had all started laughing at her. Tommy laughed, putting his hand on her thigh, "don't worry darling, you just put your pretty nose back in your book." Tommy winked at her, making Eden blush.

Standing back from the table, she faux glared at the three brothers. "Maybe I wouldn't have to bury my nose in a book, if any of you three were actually capable of intellectual conversation!" She huffed dramatically.

Arthur and John both acted as though she had shot them, holding a hand to their heart and slumping over in their seats.

Eden giggled at the two before glancing down at Tommy. He was smiling at his brothers as well and it softened Eden's heart. She didn't often see him so overtly endearing towards his family.

Tucking a finger under his chin, she brought his gaze up to hers. She could feel one of his hands running along her skirt gently and she tried to ignore it. She wasn't going to let him see how much it affected her. Especially not in front of the boys.

Eden opened the door and left through it, feeling the eyes of Tommy on her as the door swung closed behind her. She could still hear Arthur and John laughing.

With Eden gone, Tommy shook his head and tried to focus himself back to the game. "Okay." He propped himself forward on the chair again, "what's the game?"

Looking up, he was met with Arthur and John looking back at him, large grins on their faces. John twirled his toothpick in his mouth.

"So uh, you and Eden hey?" John was smirking, "how long has that been going on."

Tommy tried to ignore them, getting out another cigarette.

"Only for about 20 years Johnny boy!" Arthur chimed in, slapping a hand on his brothers neck. "Bought time you two came to your senses!"