twelve.

1919

Tommy walked Eden back to her apartment in silence. When they reached Eden's front door, they paused. Tommy looked around the street, trying to avoid making eye contact with Eden who was hugging her arms around herself.

"I offered Grace a job." Tommy said suddenly, fishing a cigarette out and lighting it. Eden just stared at him. "Thought it was better to keep her closer than leaving her to run amuck." Tommy kept talking.

"I told you she was lying," Eden managed to get out. Tommy just rolled his eyes, "she's working with us now Eden." Tommy finalised.

"Tommy, something's not right with that girl!" Eden exclaimed. "You can't let her in close, she'll hurt us!"

Tommy gave a dark chuckle that made Eden's stomach churn. "Like how you nearly got blown up today?" Eden just looked at him. "I promised you wouldn't be hurt and god," Tommy puffed away in frustration - pacing up and down the street.

"Tommy that wasn't your fault." Eden tried to interject, reaching out to hold Tommy's hand.

Tommy laughed. A horrible dark laugh that made Eden want to curl up in a ball. He ripped his arm out of Eden's grip.

"How stupid are you Eden?" Tommy seethed, pointing a finger at Eden. "How naive do you have to be to think that this was all a massive accident?"

Tommy drew in a heavy breath, taking his hat off and turning his back to Eden.

"Tommy," Eden's voice was so small, "What Eden?!" Tommy exploded.

"Do you want to go upstairs and talk about what our future is going to be like huh? Do you want to try play happy families?! Because I'm trying to find an outcome where you and I get a happy ending!" Tommy spat out, and Eden couldn't figure out how he was making his words sound so disgusting when he was talking about them and their future.

"I thought you wanted that?" Eden breathed out.

Tommy gritted his teeth. "I am going to be the death of you Eden." He finally met Eden's eyes again. Eden knew her eyes were filled with tears.

"I don't want anyone else but you Tommy" Eden cried, trying to reach out to Tommy. He just shook his head. He couldn't think of any words to say to her. Placing his hat back on his head, he glanced up and down the street - looking everywhere but Eden.

Eden went to grab his hand one last time, when he moved out of reach and disappeared down the street.

Eden was frozen - she didn't understand what just happened. There was a distant ringing in her ears and she felt numb as she walked up the stairs to her apartment.

———

Tommy eventually made his way back to Watery Lane, dredging up the stairs and pushing open the door to his room. He didn't expect to see a crying John on his bed - fumbling with his opium pipe.

"I can't even get this stupid thing to work."

Tommy sat down and listened to his brother tell him about how Lizzie was still seeing some regulars. Tommy listened, clapping a hand on his brother's shoulder - "I think you're the first Shelby in history to have a legal license for anything. What would our granddad say, eh? He'd be turning in his grave." Tommy pushed.

John exhaled a small laugh. "Honest bloody money? Eh? In this house?" Tommy continued, putting on a silly voice.

"You always used to do voices when we were kids." John sniffled and wiped his nose.

"Well we're not kids now are we." Tommy muttered, his eyes casting over to the desk where he had sat with Eden only the night before.

"But we still look out for each other, right?" John asked - his voice wavering slightly.