twenty one.

1919

It had been three days and eight hours since Eden had stepped in front of the bullet meant for Thomas Shelby.

In two days was the proposed date for Tommy and Eden's marriage.

Tommy had not slept in three days.

Eden was the luckiest girl in the world, they told Tommy.

The bullet managed to miss every vital organ and vessel in Eden's body, the main concern was the blood loss and infection. Both of which had been managed in the hospital.

It's up to the girl to when she feels strong enough to wake up - they told Tommy.

Tommy had felt nothing but heartbreak since Eden had walked in front of him. Truthfully, his heart broke when he left Watery Lane, removing himself from Eden's hold and walking away from the crying girl again.

He broke his promise again.

Nothing hurt more than remembering the desperate look on Eden's face as he tried to convince her that he would be okay. The look on her face when she told him that something bad was going to happen.

Tommy's chest tightened and he felt like he couldn't breath. Eden had been so adamant that something bad was going to happen, that she changed it. She intervened and ensured that he was safe.

Nothing hurt more than remembering the way Eden fell. The gun shot still ringing in Tommy's ears as he saw black hair grace his line of sight and then saw Eden on the ground. A fallen angel.

Tommy didn't remember pulling the trigger or staying to watch Kimber fall. He remembered the red that soaked Eden and stained his hands.

He didn't want to remember.

——

John stood at the door to Eden's hospital room. All white walls, and the small girl looked even smaller and more fragile than she had ever before.

Arthur stood behind John, a hand placed firmly on his shoulder. Both brothers watched as Tommy sat next to Eden's bed - in the same spot he had sat for the last three days, clutching Eden's hand in his.

Everyone's hearts were broken at the sight of the fallen angel.

"What's the news Doc?" Arthur quietly asked, stopping one of the doctors in the corridor. The doctor peered into the room, before referring down to his clipboard.

"I'm sorry are you family?" The doctor asked curiously.

John twirled his tooth pick between his fingers. "Of course we fucking are." He spat angrily at the Doctor.

Arthur stepped between the two, pushing John back slightly. "I'm sorry," he apologised, "my brother didn't mean to be rude. We're family of Eden."

The doctor cast an eye towards the two men in front of them, his gaze drawing up to the caps they wore and the glint of the razor blades beneath the light. Arthur watched the man's hand tense around the clipboard.

"The girl in there, Eden? She's like my little sister and she's about to be my sister-in-law." Arthur added, trying to convince the Doctor that they weren't there as gang members but as worried family.

The doctor nodded slightly, looking back down to his clipboard.

"We've done all we can. It's up to her now." Was all he said, offering the Shelby brothers a sad smile before continuing on his rounds.

John cursed and punched the door frame, storming off down the corridor. Arthur sighed, watching him go before knocking gently on the door.

"Tommy?" Arthur popped his head into the room, removing his cap as he did so.