14

We all fell silent for a few minutes. Asher chugged the Toska Vodka before handing it to me. His arms were resting on my shoulder.

Rejected someone I shouldn't have?

Miguel cleared his throat, "Dude, sino? You've rejected like a thousand girls, sino 'yang pinagsisisihan mo?"

Pierre shrugged and filled his glass with tequila. His eyes were already bloodshot. Nililipad ng hangin iyong buhok niya, so he ran his fingers through his hair.

I took Asher's guitar and started strumming. Basic chords lang naman ang alam ko. Gene, Jake, and Kass' eyes were on me. They seem to be waiting for my reaction. Probably a sign of vulnerability.

"Next na," Gene said, "Never have I ever," he raised his glass, "Jusko, inom na lang tayo. Cheers to more years of friendship!"

We all raised our glasses and clinked them against each other. Just like that, the atmosphere lightened.

My hands were still on the strings when Pierre whispered, "It's Maureen."

I pursed my lips and stared at him blankly. He didn't have to. Hindi naman ako nag-aassume. Hindi nga ba? I looked away and just focused on the drink in my hand.

Pierre stood up. "Pahangin lang," he said before walking away.

"Sundan ko lang. Baka mawala si paps," Russel brought two bottles of beer and followed Pierre.

Relief washed over me. I did not even realize that I was holding my breath. I tucked my stray hair and closed my eyes, suppressing a tear from falling.

"You're pressing the strings too hard," Asher muttered, "Dudugo na daliri mo. Hindi ka na makakasulat ng matinong notes."

I playfully poured vodka on his feet, "Kupal." We both laughed.

"Seryoso pala kayo sa aral," Asher groaned as he placed a tray of fries on his study table. He sat on the carpet and leaned on the foot of his bed, "Sina Jake at Kass naman, seryoso sa landian."

I put a handful of fries in my mouth and kicked his side. "Ikaw, seryoso sa selos," I chuckled.

Asher made a face, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Nasa bahay na kami nina Asher. Gene and I are exchanging questions about Taxonomic Classifications. Ang galing din talaga ni Gene. Halos pareho pa kami ng style ng pag-aaral. I think his memory is actually more retentive than mine.

Jake and Kass are sitting on the corner of Asher's bed. Jake is caressing Kass' arm habang may kinukuwento ata si Kass.

Si Asher?

Ayun, hindi mapakali kahit alam ko namang pasimple siyang tumitingin kina Jake. Kanina pa rin siya labas nang labas ng kwarto. Mabuti na lang lagi siyang may dalang pagkain pagbalik.

"Guys, I invited you to my house not to ignore me," Asher threw a pillow at Gene before lying on his bed. "Liv, hindi ko na ibabalik 'to," he said, as he put on my airpods.

Gene threw his pillow back at him, "Childish mo. Tulog ka na lang."

I was about to say something when Kass tickled Asher's neck. "Arte mo," she said while laughing.

The change in Asher's mood was so obvious. His eyes sparkled as if he was a child given a candy. Soon after, Jake, Asher, and Kass had a pillow fight.

"Rupok," I whispered. Gene laughed, at pinagpatuloy na namin ang pag-aaral.

It was already 1AM when Gene and I finished studying. The three were watching a movie on Asher's bed, so we just went to the balcony to breathe some air.