16

Feeling defeated, I walked to the school park to wait for my cousins and our service. Nakasalubong ko sina Jess, Kass, at Callix, but I simply greeted them. I still do not have the energy to interact with anyone—even with them—especially with the fact na kaibigan nila sina Monty.

At times like this, solitude is a good thing.

A moment to focus on myself.

I think I needed that.

In fact, the idea of spending a month in an island alone suddenly seems appealing. Should I ask Pierre if he knows an island? Tutal, siya naman iyong nakaisip nito. I shook my head, trying to brush off that thought.

Ang daming bumabagabag sa akin pero nagagawa ko pa ring isingit si Pierre.

I sat on one of the benches and watched the people passing by. There were couples and groups of friends roaming around.

My hair was being tossed by the wind, so I gathered them to the side of my neck and held them in place. There were a few strands of hair that escaped, thus blocking a part of my view.

I internally cringed at the sight of a couple, walking too close to each other.

I tucked my stray hair behind my ear to have a clearer view of them.

They were actually my batchmates. The guy has his arms wrapped around the girl's waist and his chin on her shoulder. Really? While walking? In public?

"Halatang bitter," someone scoffed.

Am I really that transparent?

Napakunot ako ng noo at tumingin sa aking gilid. Gene was sitting on the other side of the bench, eating Skyflakes.

He laughed when he saw my expression.

"Do you want some?" he asked, as he extended his hand. "Wala akong galit sa'yo ha," he added, "Pawis lang."

Halata namang katatapos niya lang maglaro ng basketball. He was still in his jersey and has a towel hanging on his shoulder. He was holding his hydroflask with his left hand.

He clicked his tongue as he raised his right arm and motioned as if he was shooting a ball. His muscles became more defined. Agad akong nag-iwas ng tingin.

After a few minutes of silence, binalik ko ang tingin ko kay Gene. He was busy scrolling through his facebook feed. The side of his lips rises, and he slightly shakes his head every time he encounters a meme or anything that looks funny. I bit my lip and stared at him, calculating if I should open up to him, instead.

He seems... safe.

"Gene," I called his attention. He looked at me, confusion evident on his face. "Parant," I whispered.

Gene put his phone in his pocket. "Go on," he said as he moved closer.

I heaved a deep breath before I started ranting. I told him about the tweets, how I feel wronged, and how Monty had the nerve to smile at me. Nakayuko lang ako habang pinaglalaruan ang mga daliri ko.

I can feel Gene watching my every movement. He was knocking his shoes against each other.

I chose to exclude the parts where I felt like my friendship with Alex was actually falling apart.