twenty: reality

WOO THIS IS A MIGHTY LONG CHAPTER

"Are you sure you don't want us to pick you up?" Chiara's voice was filled with pity and almost worry as it boomed from my phone's speaker. I half rolled my eyes as my eyes moved from the bench that my phone rested on to focussing on placing my earring in my earlobe through the mirror's reflection. I smiled, though Chiara couldn't see me, and shook my head.

"No, no. I'll get a lift with Cami, she's meeting Rosario at school. Thanks anyway." I stood up straight and walked down the stairs towards the garage where Cami was waiting for me. I brought the phone to my ear.

"Okay, gorgeous. As long as you're sure?" Chiara reaffirmed.

"100% sure, Chia. I'll see you there." I turned the hallway corner and opened the door to the garage.

"Can't wait Isa!" Her voice rang as I hopped into the passenger seat of the Rossi family car.

"Bye Chiara." I hung up the phone and turned to Cami who gave me a pointed look, referring to who I was on the phone to. Nonetheless, she shrugged it off and smiled at me.

"Are we ready to go?" said Cami.

"Yes, let's go." I nodded, "you look stunning by the way!"

I admired my friends outfit and my words were not at all an embellishment. Cami's tiny frame was covered by a sparkly, dark navy dress. The dress clung to her body tightly around her waist and supported her chest by thin straps over her shoulders. The straps crossed at her back and met the rest of the dress just above her bum. Her makeup matched her dress, complimenting her face in darkness and glitter, her hair curled elegantly over her shoulders.

"Thank you, Bella." She blushed and pulled at her straps, subconsciously. "You look amazing too."

I was wearing the orange dress that I tried on at the boutique when the Jaidyn incident occurred. It hung over my left shoulder only and draped down to above my knee. It was quite pretty however I wish I had found something a bit more flattering.

"Grazie Cami!" Nothing else was said and the girl beside me took off towards the school.

. . .

I stood alone inside the school's gym. It was cool inside, I should have brought a jacket. Cami took off to find the Rosario boy she had been blabbing about leaving me with Fabio, occupied for no more than three minutes. Fabio had waltzed off somewhere else, disappearing the moment I greeted him. Ludovica was dancing with some random guy who was a year younger than our grade. Chiara and Damiano were dancing initially but moved to sit and talk elsewhere, which began to look as if they were fighting so I steered clear of third wheeling that inevitable fight. I wish I never went to the dance. There was no purpose of it.

When I thought that my situation could not be more awkward and uncomfortable, the boy I least wanted to see that night arrived. A blonde, yet undeniably beautiful girl clinging to his arm. I looked away immediately after sighting the two. I tried to erase the perfect image of Virginia and Niccolo but I just couldn't.

In a furious state, overwhelmed but emotions, I stomped my way across the makeshift dance floor and over to the soda bar. I grabbed a can of coke and poured half of it into the bin beside the table with the cans. My eyes darted across the dance floor and located the boy I was looking for in the corner of the gym, dark and shady as usual.

I marched back across the gym and pushed Brando more harsh than necessary. He spun around, a confused face turning to a smiley one.

"What's up, Australia?" He greeted in an excited voice. "What can I do for you?"