Chapter Thirty-two: What Did He Tell You?

(Flashback: Reader's POV)

All I could do was look up at the ceiling of my room as I laid on the bed. I knew that falling asleep would be difficult, since that's all I technically did for most of the day today, but damn. I tried counting sheep, I tried to find something audible to concentrate on but it was just dead silence. I couldn't help but wonder if my sleeping schedule was doomed because of the tests from today.
Then again, it wasn't only the tests that kept me awake. The fear of being stuck in my thoughts while in a coma was absolutely terrifying. Being alone with your thoughts while you were awake and moving was already difficult. Now imagine not having the ability to move or talk, and no idea of how long you'd have to stay that way. It was absolute Hell. Screaming into a void that was my head where no one could hear me or know I was aware. I didn't want to be back there again. I know Aizawa was able to get me out the last time, but I what if he wasn't there to pull me back out? What if I was alone? How long would I be stuck that way?
My thoughts were briefly interrupted by a dull commotion outside the door. I heard faint footsteps approach and looked by the door to see some of the light blocked.

'Aizawa?' I thought.

The shadow stayed for a moment before slowly walking away again.

'Was he checking to see if I was asleep?' I thought to myself.

I slowly started to get up and see for myself when I heard the front door open and then close. I opened my door and looked around to see no one there.

"Aizawa?" I asked out into the apartment, but I received no response, other than a very enthusiastic meow from Cloud, who trotted over to me. I picked him up before walking out into the living room to only reaffirm that he in fact left.

"Looks like it's just me and you, little guy." I said to the cat, petting his head as I walked around looking for any indication as to why he left. I noticed his scarf and goggles were gone as I wandered about before I saw a tiny note on the table.

"Urgent business. No need to worry. Will be back shortly. Aizawa." I read outloud as my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I looked at the clock and saw it was 10:40pm.

'Where in the world did he need to go at this hour?' I thought, 'I hope everything's ok.'

***

(Flashback: Aizawa's POV)

"She has to die." I heard Nezu say.

The words echoed in my head well after I heard them. I felt my stomach drop and my heart sink hearing those words.

'He can't be serious.' I thought.
But I knew Nezu. I knew he wouldn't pull my chain. Not like this. And yet, despite the shock that seemed to overwhelm my senses, my blood boiled over, and yanked me back into reality.

"No!" I answered, furious by such a proposal, "Absolutely not!"

"I knew this would be too difficult for you to hear." said Nezu, looking back down again.

"Too difficult?" I shouted, my eyes blaring red and my hair shooting straight up into the wind, "Do you even know what you're asking of me? You're not only suggesting I go back on everything I've promised to her to keep her safe, but also go against everything I stand for as a hero!"

"I'm not asking anything of you, specifically." he said calmly, shaking his head and looking back up at me, "All I'm suggesting is a possible solution to a problem."

"You think killing her is a solution?" I asked, no longer able to control my anger, "If I didn't know any better, I would say you sound like a villain."

"But we wouldn't be killing her. We might be potentially saving her. Her real form, her body, in her world." he said, trying his best to calm me, even though it felt useless.

"You don't know that!" I yelled.

"I know!" he said, raising his voice, "That's why I'm not suggesting we approach this theory first. This is a last resort if nothing else seems to work. There's too much risk involved, and we have other, less harmful, options we can take long before we need to go down this road."

I felt my hair slowly fall back down to my shoulders as I closed my eyes, trying to control my temper. I didn't intend to get myself this worked up.
Honestly, I was surprised that I got as angry as I did. Over her. But dammit, I couldn't help it. This was wrong.

"I know this is a difficult thing to come to terms with, but this is something I need to consider, whether or not it's what you're comfortable with." he said gently.

"Maybe she can have a new life here..." I started to say as I looked away.

"You know that's not possible, at least as far as we know right now." he said as he walked to my side, "Time is not on our side, I'm afraid. Or her's, for that matter."

I bit my tongue in an effort to stop myself from coming up with more hopeful excuses. Whether I liked it or not, he was right. As much as I've enjoyed her being here, she's not supposed to be here. And though that was painful to admit, I needed to remind myself of that, especially now.

"I know you care for her. And I know that anyone or anything that threatens her harm is going to face one hell of an adversary. I knew that tonight when you insisted on having this discussion." he said to me, as my eyes still looked off into the distance.

"I apologise for my reaction, or anything that I've said that offended you." I said, finally looking back down at Nezu.

"No need to apologise, but I appreciate it. I expected it as much. I knew this would upset you, which was why I needed the both of us to have this conversation in private." he said, walking in front of me, checking the time on his watch before putting his paws behind his back, "It is rather late, and I don't want to keep you here any longer than you need to be."

I looked back out into the distance, going over everything I just heard.

"Oh, and Mr. Aizawa," said Nezu, pulling me out of my thoughts momentarily as I looked back at him, "I would very much appreciate it if you kept this discussion between us. If anyone were to get word about this theory, including Miss Doe, I'm afraid we'd have an even bigger problem on our hands."

And with that, Nezu continued to walk away, leaving me alone with my thoughts on the beach. I had a horrible feeling about keeping something like this away from her. She deserved to know, but Nezu was right. The implications could be disastrous and result in even more problems than we already have.

Still, how could I keep such a thing from her?

*** (End of Flashback) ***
(Aizawa's POV)

"Did you ever have that phonecall with Nezu?" she asked me after she propped her head up.

"Yes." I answered, hesitantly.

"What did he tell you?"