You Left Us No Choice

"I like the way you think!" Duck smirked.

Clementine laughed in response before she began looking around the shed. For what, Duck hadn't the faintest idea. He laid a gentle hand on her shoulder, getting her attention before he spoke.

"You're gonna tell me about this plan of yours or am I going in blind?"

Clem chuckled before replying. "Sorry." She took a deep breath working up the courage before she began relaying her plan to Duck. Duck knew Clem well enough to know she was going to use as little words as possible to avoid messing up, so he patiently waited for her to begin.

While being completely in the dark about the groups rambling she had plenty of time to look over her surroundings. First thing her eyes landed on was a board covering up a hole on the side of the house, a possible entrance. All she needed was a hammer to remove the nails.

He could tell Clem was having a hard time coming up with the words to say, but like always he was extremely understanding. He watched as she scratched her head, clearly in deep thought. While she got her words together Duck decided it was time to show Clem what he had found floating in the river when he awoke.

He took his backpack off his shoulders, unzipping it and reaching in to grab her now dried hat. He held it behind his back as he approached her.

"Maybe this will help you think?"

Clem stared back at him confused until he revealed the hat behind his back. Her eyes lit up in excitement as she took the hat from him with her good arm placing it on her head.

She  replied.  "How?"

She wrapped him in a tight hug being sure not to put too much pressure on her injured arm. She pulled back smiling up brightly at the boy who returned a equally bright smile to her.

"Story for another time, now, plan?"

Clementine nodded. "There's a loose board on the side of the house."

"An entry point you think?"

Clementine nodded in confirmation as she continued explaining. "The nails need to be taken out."

"So you're looking for a tool to-"

"There has to be a hammer here..."  She  motioned  around  the  shed.  "We get a hammer, pop the board loose, get some supplies and get out."

She didn't give Duck anytime to reply before she was off searching around the shed again. Duck smiled and laughed to himself, she was surely a force to be reckoned with despite her lack of hearing. There have been times where she had saved his life, plenty of times and it was all because of how she keenly observes things. 

It was like her other senses we're heightened, and he was sure she had a sixth sense somewhere. He often joked saying she had a "spidey sense" but she would always brush it off going "what's that"? The girls lack of superhero knowledge made for some interesting conversations, she was more of a cartoon type person, Spongebob, Kim Possible, and the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy were some of her favorites from his knowledge.

He was sure they were done with their little conversation so he joined in helping, looking through old boxes, under dusty tables. Surely there we're weapons in here but whoever the she'd belonged to seemed to have gathered them all. He had found some type of cloth they could use for bandages and some possible thread but that was about it.

"Ah!"  He  heard  a  victorious  sound  come  from  Clem.

Duck turned around to see Clem climbing up onto one of the top shelves for a hammer that was oddly placed. They got lucky, that much was for sure.