4 - I'm Sorry, Ronnie

The following few days went by in a frenzied blur. I was desperately trying to find last minute staff, organising uniforms and dealing with Bambi's constant indecisiveness.

"I'm worried we don't have enough pink food." Bambi's voice came out of my phone at two o'clock in the fucking morning of the engagement party. "Can we add something in the sweet section, perhaps?"

"I'll throw in a plate of pink fucking wafers!" I bellowed into the phone before throwing it across the room.

"I'm so sorry, darling," Bambi said, greeting me hours later as I arrived at Peverell Manor with my new put together team. "Mummy keeps telling me I can be a bit of a worry wort at times."

"It's all right," I muttered dryly, as I led the staff into the kitchen. "It's not like I need sleep to live or anything."

To my surprise, she giggled hysterically as if I'd said the funniest thing in the world.

"How funny, you sound just like Draco!" She trilled, making my heart still at the unexpected mention of his name. She barely spoke about him, to the point that I kept forgetting that this was his engagement party too.

There had been no more close shaves like on Tuesday, much to my relief. After reassuring Bambi that house elf foot rot was not contagious, we threw ourselves back into the plans for the party and she never once again mentioned getting reacquainted with Draco.

But I knew I was going to have face him at some point; it was his party after all. However, a part of me wondered if I could stay hidden in the kitchen for the entirety. I had enough staff not to need to go and serve the canapés myself.

"But darling," Bambi said, wide eyed when I told her I hadn't brought a dress to change into. "You're going to be my guest of honour! The hard work for you now is done - that's what your staff is for. I simply insist you borrow one of my dresses. I intend to show you off to everyone tonight!"

The panicky feeling returned to my chest. In the few days that I had known Bambi, I already knew that she wouldn't take no for an answer. She was an oddly persuasive person.

But on the other hand, I couldn't help but think of how much favour mingling with this rich crowd would do for my business. I would be an idiot to turn the chance down.

I needed to pull myself together; Draco Malfoy was my past. My future was my business.

And so that is how I found myself walking down the manor's grand, opulent staircase in a figure hugging long green sparkling dress.

"Wow!" Bambi exclaimed excitedly jumping up and down at the bottom of the stairs. "How nobody's whipped you up yet, I'll never understand. You're simply dazzling. Perhaps we'll find you more than just a business client tonight."

I let her pull me into the ballroom where staff were busy setting up. I noticed her looking around frustratedly.

"Draco should be here by now, I have no idea what's keeping him." She sighed heavily, a sound of rare annoyance to her voice. "Anyone would think this party wasn't about h- oh darling, there you are! Come here and meet our gorgeous new caterer! She's been an absolute life saver!"

I froze at the sound of footsteps entering the room behind me.

Bambi wheeled me round and I found myself looking into a pair of startling silver grey eyes. He was looking good. So fucking good; dressed sharply in a black suit, his white-blond hair falling down sexily across his brow.

"Weasley, good to see you again." He nodded, his eyes flashing as they sweeped over the length of my body.

"Draco," I said, amazed my voice worked. I quickly looked down, trying to ignore the horrific ache in my chest. "Long time no see."