66 - Onwards

Scorpius stared morosely out of the train's window as they made their way back to London.

As much as he was looking forward to seeing his sister again, he found it difficult to accept that his mum was still dead; that he had been so close to saving her, but in the end, his time travelling adventure had come to nothing.

"I'm so sorry, man," Albus said sympathetically, as he clocked his friends face. "But that life, it wasn't real."

"I know," Scorpius said heavily, his heart squeezing horrifically. "I just feel like I've lost her all over again."

He was dreading seeing his dad again; his heart broken, grief stricken father. He could only hope his mum's letter would help, but he failed to see how.

It didn't bring her back to life.

*****

"Scorpy!"

Scorpius's heart swelled as his little strawberry blond haired sister came running up the platform to meet him.

She was back. It really had worked.

Thank you mum, he spoke in his head as Freida barrelled into him with such force that they both nearly toppled to the ground.

He wrapped his arms fiercely around her, kissing the top of her head. He looked up to see his Nanny Cissy smiling sadly down at him.

"Let's get you home, Scorp," she said softly.

The sadness swimming in her eyes told him everything he needed to know.

And even though he had expected it, it still made his whole body tremble in a horrific heartbreaking grief.

His mother was still dead.

*****

Draco stared down at the white envelope his son had just handed to him, his heart thudding ferociously at the familiar handwriting scrawled across it.

"What's this?" He breathed.

"I'm sorry, Dad," Scorpius said shakily as he handed over something else.

Draco shook as he took the gold trinket from his son's hand. The Time Turner.

And then at once he understood. He had gone back to try and save his mum. Draco's heart lurched, suddenly knowing exactly what this letter contained. She would have done the right thing, Draco knew, she would have sent Scorp back to how things should be.

And this letter was her goodbye.

"I just wanted to get her back," Scorp murmured quietly. "I wanted to make things okay again."

"Son, it doesn't work like that," Draco said sadly, shaking his head as he felt his heart break all over again.

Didn't he realise? If it did, Draco would have used it himself by now. Every second that he was alive when Ronnie wasn't, was completely and utterly unbearable.

"I know that now, Dad," Scorp said sadly. "I know."

And with a heavy aching sadness, Draco opened the letter.

My Draco,

If you are reading this then it means it worked; our beautiful, wonderful, caring son is back where he belongs.

Back with his sister; to our daughter.

Don't be mad at him, he was doing this for you. He's worried about how you're coping and just wanted his dad back.