40 - The White Marquee

The day of Draco's wedding had arrived.

And, just like on the morning of the christening, I woke up and vomited everywhere.

After one final wistful roam around my flat, I locked up and closed the door for the last time.

It was utter chaos when our team arrived at Peverell Manor, never had a wedding had so much anticipation as this one; the paparazzi lined the streets outside, although luckily none were permitted inside.

The morning was spent in a craze; the kitchen working furiously to prep and cook as wonderful smells drifted up and filled the entire manor.

I was kept busy in the kitchen, overseeing the staff and their tasks. I couldn't help but constantly glance up at the clock, knowing the time that guests were to arrive to oversee the nuptials was getting closer and closer.

Draco and Bambi were to exchange vows under a marquee set out on the sweeping lawns of the manor's impressive grounds. We were to quietly set up the canapés on the tables provided just outside of it whilst the ceremony was going on, so that when they exited the tent as man and wife, the buffet would be ready for them to tuck straight into.

I had a visitor not long before things got underway; someone who had some inclination of what I was going through.

"Hey Blaise," I smiled sadly as I allowed him to envelope me in a hug.

This gesture between us spoke volumes; it was not something I had ever invited before, but today was different. Today we were commiserating and not only that; we were also saying goodbye.

"You will look after yourself won't you, Weasley?" He murmured, looking at me carefully as we broke apart.

"I think you know by now that I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself," I muttered wryly.

"Yeah, you're tough, I'll give you that," he chuckled good naturedly. "I just wish I had your strength." He paused, his demeanour suddenly dropping. "You think I'm a fool, don't you?"

"You've gotta do what've you gotta do, Blaise," I sighed heavily. "Just... just don't destroy yourself. No one is worth that."

"I am sorry about dragging you into all of this, Weasley, I really, truly am." The sincerity of his voice and the remorseful way he looked at me told me he really was, at least. "And the way I treated you; I was a selfish dick."

"Yeah, you were a complete fucktard," I agreed, not arguing in the slightest. "But you know what? I forgive you."

"You do?" He asked, his eyes widening at me in surprise.

"Yeah, I do, Blaise." I said, smiling amusedly at his expression, "There are some things in life you've just got to let go of, and besides, I know you were only doing it in your own pathetically desperate way."

"I'm going to miss you and your bluntness, Weasley," he chuckled softly, looking at me sadly.

Finding I was suddenly feeling too choked to reply, I instead held open my arms and we exchanged one last fierce hug before he left to go and join Draco and the other guests in the marquee.

The wait of the bride's anticipated arrival had begun.

I tried to busy myself with the checking and double checking of the rows and rows of canapés ready to go out, trying to ignore the slow torturous twisting of my heart.