42 - The Lost Weasley

Draco watched as the car disappeared into the distance, feeling utterly crushed and heartbroken.

He had fucked up the only good thing in his life.

Suddenly, he doubled over, clutching his stomach; the agony was real. The idea of never seeing Ronnie again caused him such unbearable pain.

But he knew, he knew he had to let her go. After the amount of pain and hurt he had caused her, it was the least he could do.

He felt a hand on his shoulder, and knew without turning around who it was.

"What have I done, Mother?" He wept as she wrapped her arms around him. "What have I done?"

"You've done the right thing, darling," she said soothingly, gently tapping his back. "You've put the happiness of the one you love first."

"It hurts so much," he shuddered, his body shaking through his tears.

"It'll get easier, with time," Narcissa said gently. "I just wish you could have told me, Draco. Did you really think I wouldn't support your happiness?"

"But father-"

"Is a prejudiced old fool who can't let old rivalries go." She snapped bitterly. "So what if you fell in love with a Weasley? Do you really think her family's lack of wealth bothers me? What happiness has our gold ever given us? Just look at Bambi and that miserable father of hers."

And, at his mother's words, it suddenly occurred to Draco what it is he must do now. Something he could do that would start to make up for being such a damned fool all these years.

"You go on, mother," he said, wiping his face, with a new determined air, "there are things I've got to do."

"Will you be coming home later?" She asked, raising a curious eyebrow at her son's sudden change of demeanour.

But Draco shook his head. "Sorry, mother, I love you, but I'm not going back there. I'm done with father."

"Then where will you go?"

And Draco thought of Ronnie, of how much he had admired and respected her. And even though she was gone; he knew that knowing her didn't have to be in vain.

"I'm going to go and be the best person I can be, Mother."

And, giving his mother a parting kiss on her forehead, off Draco Malfoy set, ready to begin the first day of the rest of his life.

*****

The world was like a tonic, gently soothing our grief stricken hearts.

We did it all; driving across Europe, trekking through Asia, crossing the deserts in Africa; bushwalking in Australia; Apparating across the ocean to Canada, eventually making our way down through the United States and ending up in South America.

And with us at every step of the journey, we had Fred in our hearts.

We talked about him all the time; shared memories, laughed and cried. We allowed ourselves to feel the pain of losing him, and then rejoiced in the time that we had had with him.

And all the time, my stomach grew and grew as the new life inside of me was forming.

My mind often went to Draco, and I wondered what he was doing. I hoped with all my heart that he had found some happiness.

And I thought about Bambi and Blaise, finally free of her father's clutches thanks to Draco's heroic stand.

George and I sent the occasional owl home, letting Dad know of our whereabouts, but other than his reply of 'everything is fine at home', we heard nothing. It was the arrangement we had agreed upon to ensure a proper escape.