9 - Culinary Delights

"I heard you were back."

I looked up from the assortment of canapés I was preparing to see Blaise swagger through the Peverell kitchen door.

Bambi had granted me unlimited use of their resources to create and try out new ideas for the wedding. That very day, I was trying them out on a little afternoon 'gathering' Bambi had arranged. Unfortunately, I hadn't anticipated Blaise to be one of the gathered.

"I did it for Bambi and my business; not for you or Draco," I hissed, artfully dotting chives atop the mini jacket potatoes. "I refuse to interfere in whatever fucked up arrangement they've agreed to sign up for."

"I know, I know," Blaise said, holding up his hands. "You made your point at the engagement party. And besides," he muttered, his voice suddenly sounding bitter. "Bambi insists she's never loved me."

I glanced up at him and saw pain flash through his eyes. I briefly wondered if I should tell him about the other night but decided that was too much like interfering.

"She's a sweet girl," I sighed, now arranging the canapés onto a tray. "I could see why anyone would fall for her."

"Yeah accept for her own fiancé." Blaise scoffed, huffily crossing his arms as he leaned against the counter.

"Don't, Blaise." I said sharply. "He's an adult; he's made his decision."

"You don't get it do you?" Blaise spat, his voice full of bitterness. "The kind of people the Peverell's and the Malfoy's are; reputation is everything. They value it more than love and happiness. Draco and Bambi have had that instilled in them since the day they were born. It probably hasn't even occurred to them that they can make their own choices. And knowing the fathers they both have, they would have no hesitation in threatening to cut them and the family gold out of their lives for good."

"Well, if that's the case, then maybe we should stay the fuck out of it, Blaise." I muttered, carefully placing the last canapé neatly into place. Presentation was key in this industry.

Blaise gave a heavy sigh before peering down to inspect my finished work of art.

"Cute," he said, snatching a mini jacket potato up and shoving it in his gob in one gulp.

"WELL NOW YOU'VE GONE AND RUINED THE FUCKING FORMATION, YOU CUNT!" I bellowed, as hot anger not related to the food in the slightest ripped through my stomach. "GET OUT OF THE FUCKING KITCHEN AND STOP TRYING TO RUIN MY FUCKING LIFE!"

"Jesus woman, chill!" Blaise spluttered, almost choking on the potato, which quietly frankly would serve the fucker right.

He sloped out under my furious glare as I angrily tried to rearrange the tray so that it wasn't obvious one was missing.

Finally satisfied, I carefully picked it up and headed for the door.

However, just as I reached it, someone on the other side banged it open, causing the tray and the canapés to go flying out of my hands before landing in a mess all over the floor.

"Shit," said Draco, looking from me to the now ruined canapés in horror. "Sorry."

I couldn't speak. All I could think was that I'd just spent the last two hours in this kitchen preparing, cooking and arranging a delicious assortment of canapés. And now they were all inedible and I had nothing to take out to Bambi's guests who were waiting expectantly.

"You've got more, right?" Draco asked nervously as he took in my expression which I imagined wasn't pretty.

"DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE FACE OF SOMEONE WHO HAS PREPREPARED AN EMERGENCY BATCH OF FUCKING CANAPÉS JUST INCASE THE FUCKTARD GROOM AND HIS IDIOT BEST MAN DECIDED TO COME ALONG AND RUIN FUCKING EVERYTHING?"