18 - Bitter Auntie Ronnie

I blearily opened my eyes at the trilling sound of a doorbell ringing, groaning as the noise assaulted my head.

It took me a moment to realise I was still on Blaise's cream dragon hide sofa, a soft green blanket covering me that wasn't there before.

The distant sound of heavy footsteps sounded from somewhere and I heard the distinct click of a door opening.

"What do you want?" Came the bitter tones of Blaise's voice.

"I just want to see you're okay, you haven't been answering my calls."

Bambi.

"I've got nothing to say to you." Blaise muttered. "Now can you go, I've got company."

"Oh."

"Don't fucking give me that look. You chose him."

"Please, Blaise. You know I've got no choice-"

"OF COURSE YOU HAVE A FUCKING CHOICE, BAMBI! YET YOU CONTINUE TO LET THAT FUCKING DICK FATHER OF YOURS RULE YOUR LIFE! AND LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, IT MAKES YOU JUST AS BAD AS HIM!"

Having heard quite enough, I pushed the blanket aside, shakily getting to my feet and wandered out of the living room, looking up towards the doorway in the hallway to where Bambi stood tearfully facing Blaise.

"Ronnie!" She gasped upon seeing me.

Blaise wheeled round to face me, his hardened face instantly softening. "Are you okay?" He asked, his voice suddenly warm with concern.

I nodded mutely, not entirely sure my voice would work.

"Are you two-? Did- did you two-?" Bambi stuttered, her face crumpling in hurt.

I looked away, not being able to bear seeing it.

"What the fuck does it matter to you if we did?" Blaise spat, his voice instantly back to its vehement barb.

"Blaise, I-"

"We didn't," I said at once, suddenly fucking fed up of all the hurt and mind games. "Blaise was just letting me sleep on his sofa."

Relief instantly flooded Bambi's face.

"Ronnie, can we talk?" She said, "Please."

"If it's about the catering, I'll still do it." I said abruptly. "And you can tell Draco that Blaise is still going to be his best man."

"Wait- what?" Blaise spluttered incredulously.

"You've done nothing wrong." I continued fiercely, keeping my eyes on Bambi. "You're engaged. It was always heading this way. We all knew what we were letting ourselves in for."

"Ronnie-" Blaise began again.

"As I said before," I said sternly, giving Blaise my fiercest glare, "it's not our place to interfere. I promised to do the catering and you promised to be best man. Nothing needs to change."

Bambi looked from me to Blaise, her eyes fretful and disbelieving as they landed back on me.

"Are you sure?" She asked, her lower lip trembling.

Slowly, I nodded. I had already made my mind up; I needed to start putting my business first.

Draco Malfoy may have broken my heart but like fuck was I going to let him ruin my life.

*****

"He's a handsome little fella, isn't he?" Harry said proudly as he draped an arm over my shoulders.