Sleeping In A Gas Station

It took about an hour, but we finally made it to civilization. It was a small town. Looked like the home of about a couple hundred people. There were two dine-in restaurants and one drive-through burger place.

We pulled into the drive-through and finally got our food. It was better than I expected. It was around 8 a.m. when we finished our food.

I couldn't help but think of how good Lawson's idea was when we escaped from Miller and Omar. I never would have thought of something like that in a million years. Maybe Cigar man was right. Maybe Lawson isn't so bad after a-

"Uh, Oh."

On second thought...

"What?" I asked him.

"Looks like we're low on gas. There's a gas station up ahead."

We drove up to a two pump hole-in-the-wall gas station called The Yet To Come Gas And Burgers.

Lawson got out and looked at the pump's screen.

"I have to pay inside." He said. "Will you hold the fort for a second, Howie?"

I sigh and lock the doors behind him.

I heard the bell coming from the station's entrance and shut my eyes to get a bit more rest. There was another ring from the bell.

I look and see Cigar man walking out with Lawson behind him.

What? I thought.

"We have some trouble with this pump," Cigar man said. "I suggest you do this one on the other side."

"Sure," Lawson said and went to the driver's side. "Would you go inside and pay? I'll give you the cash right now."

He handed me a fifty-dollar bill when he entered the car.

"Where did you get this?" I ask.

"Miller and Omar felt bad so they leaned me some dough." He returned.

"You stole it!?"

"It doesn't count if they are trying to kill you. Please go pay."

I scoffed and get out of the truck. Cigar man walks beside me and went behind the cashier counter.

"Where are you two headed?" Cigar man asked.

"Orlando," I reply trying not to pay attention.

"I hear it's lovely this time of year."

"No, it's not."

I gave him the money and started to walk out.

"Be careful out there," He said. "Those two are not far behind."

I look at him and leave the building.

Lawson was filling the tank and humming to himself. He was at $10 when I arrived standing next to him.

"I should be done soon." He said. "Go ahead and get inside."

I walked around the truck and put my hand on the handle. I look to my right and see something speeding down the road.

It was Miller and Omar.

"Lawson!" I yelled and pointed to the truck.

He looked and put the nozzle back in its compartment. He turned around and shut the gas tank.

"Get inside!" Lawson says and runs inside before I can start.

I run behind him and follow him behind the counter where cigar man stood.